Can someone explain to me why ln(e^x) was x please?

Although I understand why ln and e cancel each other, I am confused because of the exponent :confused:

Hi Kaiya,
You can think of logarithms a bit like the undo function for exponents.

Letā€™s take the standard form of log_b(b^x) = x and throw some actual numbers in there to show why it works.

Letā€™s say we have 10^x = 100 and want to find the value of x.
Using logarithms we can say that log_10(100) = 2.
Therefore, x = 2.
We can confirm that this is true because 10^2 = 100.

Likewise, if you had 2^x = 64
you could find x with log_2(64) = 6.
Again we could confirm this because 2^6 = 64.

Now, when whenever you see logarithms written without specifying a base, youā€™ll see one of two forms.
Log is just Log_10, also known as the common log.
Ln is the same as Log_e, otherwise known as the natural log.

Remember that e is really just a number and if you convert it to decimal itā€™s around 2.718 (3dp).
However, since itā€™s a particularly useful number, itā€™s just been given a special name and symbol - a bit like Ļ€ (pi) or Ļ† (phi / the ā€œgoldenā€ ratio).

I hope that helps clear things up but if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks, so is it x because the standard form ā€˜log_b(b^x)ā€™ is all canceled out making the right side = x the solution and not because of the exponent x?

Yep. log_b(b^x) cancels everything out except for the x.

In practical use, you generally have something like b^x = ?, so you can then use log_b(?) to find the value of x.
The basic formula just wraps all of that up into a single line to make it easier to work with algebraically.
We cover algebraic manipulation in a lot more detail in the next section of the course.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms