Can not move pins from specific spot during animation

So I followed the tutorial for animating the scene the first time and it all worked. I was able to animate the the ball rolling and the pins being hit and scattered.
Then I tried to recreate the Animation render with Cycles, I wanted to showcase the ray tracing capability.
How ever while I started working with that things started to screw up, and now I am at the point where I can not move the pin, if I move the pin and press play in blender the pin will snap back to a specific point.
If I duplicate the pins using shift + d and arrange them, then press play, they all snap to that same point.
Is there an option I am missing?

1 Like

You need to update those animation on frame X key values, after moving the pin to a new location!
You need to do that for every pin.

1 Like

You are not telling Blender you have changed the animated position of the new pin. It copies the animated position from the original as well as the mesh etc.

I also think I saw you set the origin point to geometry rather than to centre of mass by volume. Very little difference in it, in this case, but not the right thing to do.

1 Like

If that is the case, that means lesson 60 on Udemy: “60. Fun With Physics” is wrong.
The instruction is incorrect and should be updated.
It tells me I can duplicate the items and they will just work.
This is what I initially did and it worked, but does not work anymore, why is that?
That means now if I duplicate a pin I have to move it twice for each key frame.
Again the lesson does not show that.

Please explain why the instructor duplicates the pins and it works for him, why does that not work for me anymore when it did the first time?

I presonally think the animation module in Blender 3.1 is broken. It’s doing some funky stuff that it didn’t do the first time I animaterd. Blender is doing some very illogical operations when I try and animate.

Nothing wrong with Blender animation system, If there were it would have been fixed fast, the community reports bugs very actively.

It is weird I can’t make it go wrong, unless you keyframe the first pin’s location.

It works if there are no keyframes on the first pin. And therefore the duplicates.
It works if the animation is keyframed OFF before impact. And therefore the duplicates.

Did it in 3.1.2 Using 2.91 on the file works as well. Nothing wrong with Blender.

Are you using linked duplicates or duplicates?

Using shift + d just like in the 2nd reply and linked video from the lesson.

1 Like

Right, and if you look at the second linked video he keyframes the first pin, then duplicates it and it works.
If worked for me the first time too, but subsequent times it fails.
So keyframing the first pin, and duplicating it should work like in the lesson.

1 Like

He keyframes the animation OFF. He added it at the start to mitigate any ‘settling’ motion to the ground plane. Frankly not needed if you are attentive to getting it set up right in the first place.

‘If’ as I keep saying, you, like some other students have keyframed location as well, it can cause this sort of issue. Animation is not a single thing, very many parameters can be keyframed separately and additionally.

Only a few days ago we had a problem related to baking not working for one student. In the end he solved it by turning his lap top off and on again!

Might it be that simple? Something computer rebooting, memory freeing up, sort of thing?

Short of that upload the file somewhere others can get it and we can look at the setup on different systems.

1 Like

Lol, yeah my PC is on 24/7, but I have rebooted it since.

Yes there are two key frames on the pin. Animated until right before the ball hits the pin, then animation is turned off and physics takes over.

He does that then replicated the pins and creates 9 duplicates from the original.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a Blender version problem?
Blender does change internally with each version.
But the lectures stay at a certain Blender version.

Privacy & Terms