Can i use git for Version Control in blender?

can using git for blender files help in version control.As I have a very casual habit of screwing my work I have to always keep duplicate files just in case I screw up one of them I can have another file. But that procedure is really hard to keep up as after some time I forget which is the one having the new changes.

4 Likes

Yes, in fact I am using git myself for blender files. However, you may not want to. Here’s why:

Git is optimized for dealing with text files, which I suspect may work well with *.blend files but may not be so efficient with images which we’ll be using later for textures. Any change to an image file will result in a complete duplicate saved in the git archive, so the git archive size will increase by the total size of the image file each time even the smallest modification is made…

The alternatives Michael recommends (4-5 backups with occasional branching by renaming (to ensure a copy to go back to prior to experimentation) or use of drop box should work fine as well.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

I was thinking the same and came here to recommend that, glad to see like minded people.

2 Likes

i was about to have bad teaching flashbacks from the unreal course on Git stuff. lol glad he didnt go into it and moved back onto the subject matter.

I personally think this is a more advanced topic that shouldnt be covered so early on in conflicting with the learning of the subject, rather an optional thing at the end of a section to fall back on if need be, or a differnt course or section all together preferably at the end of a large topic, not before it. Damn pencil pushers.

Dell if you could give an explanation on Git LFS, i completely skipped those lectures during the unreal course xD. haha. (ben was having me upload 700 MB at first though which was insane! i dont think source tree was working as it was supposed to)

I found this at github: https://github.com/ldo/blendgit

It integrates git with blender so you don’t have to use external programs.

Haven’t tried it out myself yet but looks promising.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms