Can I still open Unity 5 projects with Unity 2017?

I unfortunately don’t have enough disc space to keep more than one version of unity at the same time. Will I still be able to open unity 5 projects in unity 2017? or would deleting unity 5 cause all my older projects to suffer?

1 Like

Unity typically offers to upgrade your projects when you open with a newer version than the existing project was created with. In most cases this works, although sometimes you may need to make a few changes yourself - most noticeably from 4.6.x versions to 2017.

I would suggest creating a copy of your project(s) first, and then launching with 2017, if they open/upgrade without problem, great - if not, you have the backups to return to where necessary.

1 Like

All right, I’m gonna try it!

1 Like

Okay, I deleted unity 5 and everything that came with it, and then installed 2017. But unlike the previous versions, this one didn’t come with monodevelope. how do I properly install monodevelope for unity 2017? Will it work okay if I just download the latest version of monodevelope from monodevelopes website? or does it have to be done a special way?

1 Like

Never mind. I figured it out. For anyone following, I went to preferencesand under external tools switched the script editor to monodevelope. then I clicked “Download Mlnodevelop Installer” and monodevelope downloaded. Everything works fine now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms