Can I skip around?

I’ve now made three games using the Complete Unity C# Crash Course, and I’ve been LOVING the course. I’ve gone over the top making the games as best as I can and becoming more advanced than the course lends itself to(I’d probably learn it all anyways if I just waited for the next project but I’m trying way too hard). The issue is that now, I have the platformer to make, but I don’t quite think I’m ready. I want my platformer to be my best real game I make with the course, and the arcade shooter I’d rather do before it. But can I, or is it way too advanced for me? Would I be missing lessons I was supposed to learn in the platforming course? Or can I wait and make an AMAZING platformer? Anybody who’s completed the course, please let me know. Thank you!

-GameTortoise

also here are my games(pretty clearly delivery driver, snowboarder, and quiz game):

They all have quite a twist…

1 Like

Hi GameTortoise,

Since everybody is an individual learner, it’s impossible to tell whether a project will be too challenging for you. However, since this course is just a course, it’s fine if you try things out. If you feel that the platformer is too difficult, you can always go back to earlier sections to either complete them or to watch the videos on subjects you do not know yet.

Also please feel free to ask our helpful community of students for advice over on our Discord chat server. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t finished the course, but here’s my opinion.

This course is only a structure for you to begin your journey in learning, so you shouldn’t be completely chained to it. Infact, a huge part of programming and game-development is learning things on your own. So, if you do decide to skip the platformer part you might miss out on some important mechanics that will help you in the next section of the course which would make it a bit of a challenge if you’re into that.

Since you’re clearly so passionate about your platformer project, I suggest you continue the course as intended, but don’t spend time on any ideas or making it pretty. Just learn and practice the code! This would help you develop the skills and confidence you need when starting your project.

Good luck!! :grinning:

1 Like

If my memory serves me well, what you’ll learn during the “Tilevania” section of the course isn’t needed to fully comprehend the “Laser Defender” section, you can skip it.

Don’t forget to share your games in the forums and the discord community, I love to play students’ games and give feedback as long as the student asks for it.

If somebody just wants to create TileVania like Rick, the Laser Defender section certainly doesn’t matter. However, GameTortoise wants to make an “amazing” platformer, so I think that he might find some of the ideas in Laser Defender (e.g. the score system) inspiring. In my personal opinion, implementing one’s own ideas in a course game is what makes a course game (more) interesting.

1 Like

Nina-- you got it. That’s exactly what I meant and the response I was hoping for. Yes, my platformer won’t be the greatest platformer mankind has seen, but I’d rather have it be my ‘big finale’ project for the course than Laser Defender. Yee-- good to know the information in TileVania isn’t crucial to the rest of the course, that reassures me a lot. Thank you all for helping me with this choice, I’m starting on Laser Defender in a couple of days. Can’t wait. Thanks!!!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms