Camera Zoom

So I just started the RPG course and I got sidetracked on a tangent trying to get my camera to zoom in and out. Most of what I found on the web was using field of view but that kept distorting the view. Eventually cobbled this together. It works pretty good for my purposes. I thought I would share in case anybody else is having issues with camera zoom.

void ZoomCamera()
    {
        float scrollChange = Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel");

if (!Mathf.Approximately(scrollChange, 0f))
        {
            scrollChange *= -1f;

// in order for the direction to be correct, have to subtract the origin point from the destination point
            Ray cameraArmRay = new Ray(player.transform.position, Camera.main.transform.position - player.transform.position);

float scrollSpeedDistanceFactor = Mathf.Abs(Vector3.Distance(Camera.main.transform.position, player.transform.position));

float distance = scrollChange * zoomSpeed + scrollSpeedDistanceFactor;

Vector3 newPos = cameraArmRay.GetPoint(distance);

if(Vector3.Distance(newPos,player.transform.position) >= maxCameraDistance)
            {
                newPos = cameraArmRay.GetPoint(maxCameraDistance);
            }
            if(Vector3.Distance(newPos,player.transform.position) <= minCameraDistance)
            {
                newPos = cameraArmRay.GetPoint(minCameraDistance);
            }

Camera.main.transform.position = newPos;
        }
    }

Edit: slight update to the ray, need to subtract original position from the target position for the direction to be correct

Edit: Updated to add clamping for min and max zoom.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms