Camera zoom amount vs camera zoom speed?

I decided to expose all the camera variables to the editor so I could more easily fiddle with them, and potentially expose them to the player options later on, but I’m wondering if someone smarter than me can tell me which one I should be modifying, the zoom speed or the zoom amount. When I change them in the editor the results seem pretty similar, bigger numbers = faster zoom and vice versa, but the relationship between the two isn’t additive, it seems to be multiplicative. Namely, the zoom amount seems to act as a multiplier on the zoom speed. So, if you were going to expose either of these variables to the player options, which one would you choose?

[EDIT] I don’t seem to be able to tag this question with the video link, but it’s for 7_GS_UTS.

The zoomAmount changes how much scrolling the wheel changes the target zoom level. And the zoomSpeed changes how quickly the camera smoothly gets to that target zoom level.

Do you want the zoom to zoom more for each single scrollwheel turn? Increase the zoomAmount
Do you want the zoom to zoom more quickly and snappy? Increase the zoomSpeed

4 Likes

This is a good description of the difference in behaviour, thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms