BullsCowsGame doesn't see my source code after rebuilding UE

My UE 4 installation on my Mac got fouled up when starting the Building Escape project. (I don’t know what messed up my system but I suspect it had something to do with iCloud.) I ended up deleting and reinstalling UE4 and Epic Games, placing them in a different place definitely on my local drive. Then I extracted a fresh version of the BullCowGame-starter-kit.
I copied-and-pasted my completed .cpp and .h text into the default .cpp and .h and copied the hiddenWordList.h into the new directory. But, when I launch the BullCowGame.uproject in my new directly, it starts off asking me to choose a UE4 Editor (the only option is the UE_4.27 that I installed), which is new (it didn’t used to do that) and then, the BullCow game does load and compile, but all it displays on the board is “$>” so it is ignoring my code.
I don’t know if this is relevant but while loading the initial BullsCows game I got the message “Failed to load /Game/Levels/Level1_BuiltData.Level1_BuiltData Referenced by PersistentLevel.” which means nothing to me.
So…I don’t understand why the game isn’t seeing my updated code. I deleted the Binaries directory but that didn’t help. I’m attaching a screen shot of my file structure and my .cpp code so you can confirm that the source code has been updated.

I’m also attaching the display after I press [Play].

Have I missed a step?

I suspect you didn’t add the component to the actor.

Thanks for the response but I don’t understand. I don’t think I’ve gotten that far in the course. Is the actor the message board? I don’t recall doing anything to the message board the first time. Unless I forgot it (which is possible), all I remember doing is modifying the source code.
I DID forget something. I’m rewatching session 44 now. Thank you!!! I’m sure this will solve it.
YES!!! That did it! Whew! I really appreciate the help. I’ve had so many environment problems with this installation that I was afraid to move on. But, I’m more comfortable now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms