Bulls & Cows crash on opening

I have just recently downloaded the Bulls & Cows project. Whenever I try to open it the project loads but then unreal automatically crashes. I have to open it through unreal as it doesn’t link the file type to ue4 for some reason. I do have Game Development with C++ and the Unreal Engine Installer installed as well as the Editor Symbols for Debugging. I have tried rebuilding and restarting to no avail. I am using UE4.22.3 as requested.

Some help would be amazing as this is preventing me from advancing in the course which I had dedicated time to complete. Thank you in advance

Blockquote
LoginId:f789cf1944d5da2b12b28f87ede4c940
EpicAccountId:6b889a35f4ce4020883ce4c15aeb5a17

Assertion failed: [File:D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 249] Result failed at D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Viewport.cpp:361 with error E_INVALIDARG

UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsErrorOutputDevice::Serialize() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowserroroutputdevice.cpp:79]
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDevice::LogfImpl() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:71]
UE4Editor_Core!AssertFailedImplV() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\assertionmacros.cpp:101]
UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\assertionmacros.cpp:449]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!VerifyD3D11Result() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11util.cpp:249]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11Viewport::PresentChecked() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11viewport.cpp:364]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11DynamicRHI::RHIEndDrawingViewport() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11viewport.cpp:670]
UE4Editor_RHI!FRHICommandListExecutor::ExecuteInner_DoExecute() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\rhi\private\rhicommandlist.cpp:325]
UE4Editor_RHI!FRHICommandListExecutor::ExecuteInner() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\rhi\private\rhicommandlist.cpp:592]
UE4Editor_RHI!FRHICommandListExecutor::ExecuteList() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\rhi\private\rhicommandlist.cpp:642]
UE4Editor_RHI!FRHICommandList::EndDrawingViewport() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\rhi\private\rhicommandlist.cpp:1524]
UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer!FSlateRHIRenderer::DrawWindow_RenderThread() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\slaterhirenderer\private\slaterhirenderer.cpp:987]
UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer!TGraphTask<TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<FSlateRHIRenderer::DrawWindows_Private'::29’::SlateDrawWindowsCommandName,<lambda_076ca5c89cb03ad0d8e3fd21b4a903a2> > >::ExecuteTask() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async\taskgraphinterfaces.h:842]
UE4Editor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:686]
UE4Editor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:582]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!RenderingThreadMain() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:333]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!FRenderingThread::Run() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:464]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:96]

So kinda against recommendations lol but I tried running it on 4.25 and everything is going smoothly for some reason no idea why it crashes on 4.22 :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:.

I’ve gone through the whole course up to the tanks game in the latest version of Unreal (4.24 at the time) with no issues like that. 4.25 doesn’t affect much either, so you should be fine. Keep in mind that a few things may be slightly different (mainly in where you find things in the unreal editor), but you should be able to follow along with few to no issues. All the features should still be there, and worst case scenario: you go back an unreal version. Not that big an issue, as all the code is still compatible (in my experience at least…)

1 Like

Yep going smoothly so far only thing is I had to use Visual Studio Community instead of Code since 4.25 and VS code dont seem to be getting along too good

Privacy & Terms