Bulldog in the Grass

My attempt at grass using hair particles.

12 Likes

Wow, I really like the resemblance. Love the skin and hair.

2 Likes

Very good fur hair on the dog nicely colour sorted too.
The grass is great as well.

Must be a lot of particles there!

2 Likes

He’s looking even more realistic now that he’s standing in very realistic looking grass. :grinning:

3 Likes

Very neat! :grin:
I just attempted my first model with hair and fur, and I’m wondering how you did the color variation? Are the brown areas different particle systems, or is in in the shader?

3 Likes

Very nice looking bulldog- rolls, fur, and all!

2 Likes

Sooo many particles. I have to disable the particle systems I’m not currently working on in the viewport or my computer’s performance suffers. It also took about 4 minutes for my system to finish rendering this with 128 cycles @1080p. It makes for a good image, but is not practical for game development or animation, at least not on my setup.

2 Likes

The white and brown fur are two different particle systems, each with a different weight map. I used the bulldog mesh itself as the emitter for both weight maps. I also vertex painted the bulldog mesh brown and white underneath the fur to give the illusion of a fuller coat with less particles. If I painted the skin a realistic pink, the fur looked thinner unless I increased the number of particles.

For the grass, I plugged in a grass texture image for the color of the particle material. This gave it a realistic variation in it’s color.

3 Likes

Ah that makes sense, thanks! :grinning:

This is a good idea for what optimization you can do

3 Likes

LOL 4 mins is absolutely nothing! My first hairy animal, in the old 2.7 course, a rabbit in a grassy field etc. took 22 hours to render.
Yes not suited to game stuff! I do not believe they do any such particles/hairs.

4 Likes

Clever!

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms