Building Escape V2 Rebooted

Its almost like i have evolved beyond the need for rubber ducky and i have a mini Ben and Sam on each shoulder.
I am begining to see how things work so my brain is literally exploding with content i want to cram in.

Its only going to get scarier and deeper as the story goes on :slight_smile:
I will start putting disclaimers on the videos :smiley:
Its a lot of fun and as Sam puts out more content theres so much more i can add to this to head in my own directions.
Might be a little while before another update though it depends on how quick sam gets videos out this week and how fast i can build a decent level. Going to hold off producing a video as long as i can contain it :smiley:

1 Like

HERETIC!!! :wink:

(heā€™s watching you!!)

and i have a mini Ben and Sam on each shoulder.

hehe, that paints an interesting imageā€¦ one in red, one in whiteā€¦ which is whichā€¦ lolā€¦ :slight_smile:

Might be a little while before another update though it depends on how quick sam gets videos out this week and how fast i can build a decent level. Going to hold off producing a video as long as i can contain it :smiley:

hehe, well more than happy to play test as and when if requiredā€¦ looking very goodā€¦ I guess based on the title itā€™s about over coming various challenges/puzzles and finding a way out without being killed? Itā€™s the atmosphere that is really capturing my attentionā€¦ I spotted for example the torch light from your gun/torch in the video as it lit up the floor and a kind of Blair Witch effect as you ran down the stairs with the light flashing off of the walls here and thereā€¦ nice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A little disappointingly i have hit a stumbling block in ShadowStalker.
When i started this project i had cloned Building Escape and imported the first person character template into that project replacing the default pawn that ben had us create.
Unfortunatly this did not import all that you get in the first person character template project. For example not only does the ball projectile not exist in the import but neither does the projectile cpp & h files and it does not appear in the first person character code either.
I decided rather than to re-write everything i was missing due to not knowing what changes i would need to make further down the line, I would restart the project in the new first person template and being over what i need from building escape into it.
It does mean redoing a lot of work but it means i end up with a cleaner and better functioning project.

A lot of work to do! Will post an update when i get to a point close to here again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That sounds like a really good approach, re-doing it will help re-enforce the things youā€™ve already learnt, youā€™ll have it already working in one project as a handy reference to hop back to if needed plus you can try some new things - and at the end of the process it will be all of your own work - how very awesome :slight_smile:

A lot of work to do! Will post an update when i get to a point close to here again :slight_smile:

I will look forward to seeing your next release :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome work, well-done going the extra mile. Do incorporate what you learn in Testing Grounds and keep developing.

1 Like

Thank-you guys,
Iā€™ve been hard at work since my last post and have a HUGE list of things i want to add in, Some i can add now some require the course to progress a little first.
Thanks @Rob for pointing me down the road to fix grabber in the first person template. Not only was his pointer about including engine.h spot on it also led me to the fact i had code in the constructor not BeginPlay. This was the cause of crashing editor not the include as i had thought.
Got most functionality back (Footsteps and landing sound will be excluded for now)
Once i finish getting the rest working iā€™ll get to a level build to show some new features. (Or at least post new questions on why doesnt this work?)

More than welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

UPDATE :-

Some new features added (Keeping these under the hood for now)
Jump sound readded back.
Background music moved to the level blueprint.
Sound triggers moved to level blueprint.
Fixed bug in torch where spots were through the wall when facing one.
Door animations and scripts applied to scene doors to test.
Fixed grabber issue of walking backwards on picking up an object that has no mass turned on in details tab.
Fixed grabber line trace by increasing its float reach value as was clipping on the fps mesh at 100.f
Grabber sound working
Refactored everything (Thanks Sam & Ben)
General tidying up and other duties.

I have a lot more i want to do but going to build a small non dev level for testing purposes over the next couple of days (Family day today) so should have a video up mid to end of the week,

Afterthought, Anyone got any idea on the best way to approach the first person character not fitting though the doorways. I dont like the idea of scaling the scenerary up but on the other side it means scaling both the player and the enemies down.
I am thinking towards scaling both models down but this just seems a little dirty and cheap.

2 Likes

Awesome listed of features!! Well done :slight_smile:

Anyone got any idea on the best way to approach the first person character not fitting though the doorways.

I suppose my first question has to be, why is it that the first person character doesnā€™t fit through the door in the first place? As before Iā€™ve not used Unreal yet, but presumably it has scale/units like Unity which either represent, or could represent real world scale.

Is it that the model for the character is physically too big to go through the door ways, or, is it because the model is effectively dragging a camera object behind his head which is higher up than his head and itā€™s that which collides with the wall above the door ways?

Would you be able to start a thread over in the showcase with the progress of Shadow Stalker? Iā€™m sure lots of our students would love to see what is possible.

2 Likes

Actually i hadnt thought of the camera issue but it could be the capsule collider clipping the doorways.
Without any resizing the first person character wont even fir thought the doors that come with the start pack content.
Rather bad form if you ask me to have the assets this way.

EDIT :_ Just to tody up. It was the capsule colliders width that was causing the issue not height so i reduced the radius from 55 to 40 and that seems to have stopped it. I may increment it back up later to make proportions closer aalthough will need to test third person.

Anyways moving to new thread/

2 Likes

I was actually thinking that the other day Sam as i feel this has progressed from building escape expansion.
Iā€™ll make a new thread there with the next update video.

2 Likes

Great find, and useful to know for the rest of usā€¦ :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms