Building Blocks - well.... not really

So… this was supposed to be that exercise where we built building blocks, walls with windows and doors etc and put them together to start and build a church… (Section 7) however… he did say church or whatever you want… so… I strayed…
Welcome to the “Breezy Kilt”, an Inn in the Scottish Highlands and location for the first scenes of a feature film of mine. I decided to try using some of my new skills on building this instead of the church.
I digressed from the instructions in one more way which as it turned out was a good lesson learned. Instead of doing what I was told and building reusable wall sections in a modular way, I used an Add On called Achimesh which builds buildings easily adding doors, ceilings and windows as well as stairs and columns. Its actually very cool BUT with quite a few limitations as I found out. First off you are limited to a couple of modern style window types and door. You can’t change them. Secondly it uses the solidify modifier. I needed to cut a hole in the wall for my fireplace. Archimesh doesn’t provide for that unless you Apply the solidifier. I must have cut 20 holes and they kept disappearing. Once you solidify, you lose the ability to hide walls so you can work on sections. Lots of glitchy stuff also. And the list goes on. Bottom line is its great for a simple model. I ended up solidifying and making it as much a normal building model as possible, hiding the original Archimesh model but the walls are all joined in one model. Its a pain. Lesson learned.
I still have a lot of work to do on this and may still end up replacing all the walls with modular ones.

The whiskey glasses have lights inside. A trick from director Alfred Hitchcock. I will eventually make a real fire when I add animation. I modeled most of the things in the scene.
I’ve since changed the windows and doors insetting them in the stone rather than having the wood frames outside and over. In real life I realized that they are receded in the stone opening. - See the last picture where I fixed it. I just noticed a nice little reflection in the window. I will work on enhancing that effect. Will also add snow to window panes outside eventually. Those with a good eye will notice the chessboard grid is off - its a little above the board frame. I’ve since fixed that but now see work needs to be done around the fireplace where I had to cut a hole with the knife tool.
Need to finish bar and add characters ready to animate the scene.

13 Likes

I like your work very very much, congratulations. i hope i can understand unraping textures as well as you did. :grinning::clap:

Privacy & Terms