Building blocks & Variation

Since I’m going to be making a mod as my project for this section that means I already have an established scaling that I have to work with. So I had to make a few variations to sizes.

First of all I exported some of the meshes from the game I will be working with and found that the block measurement of building components are roughly 3m x 3m x 2m (X/Y/Z for blender, X/Z/Y for UE4) with walls being roughly 15cm in thickness. So I built the basic shapes with these new dimensions in mind.

(I also altered the unit measurements in the scene properties to match that of the game I am working with and increased the clipping range to match, both can be seen in the screenshots below)

I will also note that since I changed these scene unit measurements and clipping range for UE4 I save a blank template file so that I didn’t have to keep setting them, but also so that I didn’t have to overwrite my startup file.

You will notice my doorframe wall is quite different in shape. In the game, doors extend the entire 2 meter height so door frames are segmented like that.

My window isn’t quite so different, but I am going for a more sci-fi theme.

The location of the origin on my structures is specific to how this game handles object placement and snapping. So that is something others would not necessarily need to do, but in my case it’s important.

1 Like

Hey @ZenRowe, I also building a scene for a game. I played around with the pieces in unity and it seems to work well. Although, i’m not sure if I should build the whole scene (or bigger models at least) in Blender and import that, instead of building everything piece by piece in my game engine.

Have you tried to build a scene in the UE4? I guess you may have more control if you build everything in the engine, but Blender seems more appopriate for that…

Thanks

There are instances where you might want to prefab your scene in blender (For instance when all parts of it are completely unique and not used anywhere else), but generally for re-usability (And to reduce overall file size) You will want to have them as pieces to assemble in unity or UE4.
In my case I was actually referring to building pieces that a player would assemble into structures at runtime :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms