Browser Support for Unity WebPlayer - My Game Wont Run

Hi, Ben this is my first post on the forum. I may be posting this in the wrong place so I am sorry if that is the case I am a beginner who has completed the Text101 game from your c# unity dev course. I am at section 3 lesson 37. I am trying to upload to gamebucket for the first time. I discovered that it wouldn’t work so have registered with itch.io, tried to upload the game in 2 ways.
1st with the .zip file as the lecture suggests for gamebucket but this caused an error that itch.io highlighted, which I assume means they do it differently,
2nd with just the unity file as that is what itch.io suggested but am still finding I cant view the game in either chrome or explorer.
That seemed to be successful but when I try to get the game to load in the web browser by clicking into it from my itch.io dashboard I am experiencing a difficulty. I’d be grateful for advice of what I could try next.
This is the Chrome window:

and this is the explorer (I zoomed in a bit on this or its just loads of white space):

Is it possible that there is a video that walks you through how to use itch.io for deploying the game so that I can follow that along and make sure I got it right?
I have downloaded and run the .exe file for unity on windows as the chrome suggested but it made no difference.
Open to suggestions!

PS GREAT course - really excellent.

Hi @anynameifancy,

The issue here is that the more recent web browsers no longer support the underlying technology required for the old Unity WebPlayer.

You have a couple of choices;

• Later in the course you upgrade to Unity5, at this point you would be able to build using WebGL which has replaced Unity’s WebPlayer - at this point you could go back to the previous games you’ve created in the course, upgrade them to Unity5.3+ and republish to Itch.io - they will then work as expected.

• Upgrade to Unity5.5.2 now, you will then be able to build the games using WebGL, publish them to Itch.io and play them as expected - however - remember that the course was originally written for an older version of Unity, as such there will some subtle differences which may catch you out briefly along the way. The team have included additional resources into specific lectures so that you can make the necessary changes for Unity5+ with the course games, and of course you can post here and request help from our awesome community.

I hope this information is of use. :slight_smile:

p.s. - GameBucket.io is currently experiencing some technical issues which is why it is unavailable.

Thank you Rob,

Really helpful, I will continue with the course and get back to this
deployment element once the course gets to the newest Unity version.

Thank you again

1 Like

You are more than welcome Yoni.

Also, just noted your signature, whilst you need an account to post on the forums here, the content is publicly available, I wouldn’t want you to start getting random calls, you may want to remove your telephone number - entirely your choice of course :slight_smile:

thanks - I replied through my mail and it automatically added email signature - I’ll make sure to stay in the forum when I comment from now on!

1 Like

Aha! Yes of course, I didn’t spot the little email icon on your post earlier. :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms