Broken lighting in cycle render mode

Hello! I was following the course and as I started to render my scene with different mode, I found that the outcome for cycle mode is kinda glitchy, the lights were all broken for some reasons and I cannot figure out the reason:

In comparison here’s what Eevee got:

1 Like

I think you have faces on the same spot, fighting to have a render. Eevee has a different (faster) algorithm. As in (simplified) if renders (rasterize) a face at once.
While Cycles calculate a single-pixel (light ray).

If you have double faces (due to extracting faces, but you forgot to move them or pressing ESC).
In cycles, it will result in a strange outcome (called Z-fighting).

1 Like

Hello! Thank you for your reply.
I thought about that aswell but frankly I don’t have the fighting faces at my model, at least not at where the shadow breaks, same thing happens for another of my model aswell where I place the item by snapping, I wonder if there’s something wrong with my rendering setting?

1 Like

Old Blender Cycles has also a problem with objects having a too low amount of vertices.
Maybe it a problem with Cycles-X

Blender Cycles Shadow terminator. Occurring when the model has a low amount of verts.

Naamloos (3)

1 Like

Did you manipulate UV-maps and working with material nodes?

1 Like

There is no reason for cycles to have lighting artifacts on flat geometry.

Show wireframe of your model?

2 Likes

As has been said a wireframe full screenshot might help see the issue. It is just not likely Cycles would be the problem.

Your panel only image is almost exactly as mine opens by default (only my max samples differs) so there is nothing wrong there.

General Q&A note
Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also, include the lecture time that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side.
On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups additionally where they help.

1 Like

No I didn’t, sorry for the late reply was finishing university final exam, but no, I didn’t manipulate the UV-maps and anything, just doing some very basic stuff as showed in the video.

Terribly sorry for the late reply, but here you go:

There’s no specific lecture time stamp I can provide as it’s in general a “rendering out your work” lecture problem, sorry.

1 Like

You show the outline of the object(s), but then difficult to see how your meshwork is done.
But I see some strange artifacts.

Your main base should be a cube, with the front face deleted. That is all you need to make a cupboard.
also, your lights, shine at the back of the cupboard.

1 Like

I have 3 lights, the back one was for compensation, and yeah I made several boxes and manipulates them here and there to make this bookshelf since by the time I haven’t learn edit mode yet, that would probably be the case! Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the image, problem is mine I guess, wireframe in object mode shows little, I should have explained better. Edit mode shows more, like verts and faces when in wireframe.

Since the bookshelf is a massive compilation of boxes the wireframe in edit mode doesn’t give much details, but here it is:

1 Like

That is x-ray solid mode lol.
All separate objects, if all selected and taken to edit mode might show something.

Might be easier if you can upload the file somewhere we can get it.

1 Like

I understand those are multiple objects! Not a single object containing the cupboard? As in one mesh?

Intersecting objects and faces can give strange face render results!

Here’s the file, sorry I haven’t get clear about different modes…

Ok, so very simple Double geometry. Just that they are double objects not double mesh in the same objects. Actually, there are two of every object I have tried so far!

Things like naming the objects might have shown this up to you. Or just that is a lot of shelves I only thought there were 8 sides shelves.

Cycles viewport render.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms