Brand New, need a little advice

Hey guys, I’m normally the programming type, but my daughter is an artist, and she’s always wanting to do artsy stuff with me. Anyway, I picked up the massive Humble Bundle, and I’m starting with “How to Draw” - And for me, that’s saying alot because I honestly never was the drawing type… But I’ll learn one way or another

I get that using the old fashioned method (Pencil/Paper) is ideal, and that’s what I’m doing (My wife surprised me with 3 sketch pads, a pack of Graphite Pencils a “woodless” pencil (whatever that is) some graphite sticks and a kneaded eraser… Oh, and an easel for my pads… So since she’s invested… I am now too lol)

But every so often I switch to a Tablet/PC just to get a feel for it. Now, I have a UGEE M7 Pro screenless, which I picked up to essentially just help my students when I was a Team Lead for the Bootcamp I attended. I picked up Krita, and I’m messing around with it off and on, using what I learned in a lesson, and applying it to a digital format (so far it’s just the ball, and I’ve learned I can’t draw circles yet)

My question is, HOW do you get used to the tablet? I find myself honed in on the tablet, and then the on-screen rendition is HORRID - I then try to flip my eyes back and forth, and then I lose focus on what is happening on the tablet…

I just can’t seem to find a balance between the two… Or is that something that comes in time?

1 Like

Although I have a fancy cintiq now for drawing directly on the screen, I started out with a screenless tablet also, and I remember the challenge of it.

My recommendation would be to try not looking at the tablet at all, but only the screen where the lines are appearing. It is not easy at first, and it is a hand-eye coordination skill that comes with practice. One traditional method you could try is drawing on paper, but only looking at your subject. This is also hard and will look bad at first, but I think it helps develop that skill.

Cool to hear you are getting into digital art, the undo button is fantastic :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you for the tips… I’ll definitely give it a try next time I jump into Krita…

1 Like

This is absolutely spot on advice and its very hard to do but its like touch typing it comes with time and practise :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms