Bottom part of Chess piece

ChesspieceBottom

Testing different tools. Bottom is made using bevel tool and upper one with bezier.
Of course use is little bit different but my conclusion is that Bezier means more work and is little bit hitting fly with cannon ball approach for simple bend surface (without additional geometry)
I would like to know how to make bottom and upper parts blend more smoother with each other but maybe even texture can do that on end result

2 Likes

The course does a low poly set. For higher poly smoother items I would have started with more than six sided to the cylinder shape. Probably best to stick the the course way first and experiment on a second set.

1 Like

I didn’t really get what you tried to say on first part, but as for advice of doing things. Technically, I do that already, I just do those side by side, because that is optimal way for me learning and remembering anything.

That is also way how I draw own conclusions that I time to time hit here. They can be off the mark and that is why I say them so someone can correct me.

1 Like

As NP5 said,if you want to make a high poly model it is best to start from a cylinder with more than 6 vertices.For my chess set I used a 32 vertices cylinder(I really didn’t want to use any subdivision modifiers).
It worked best for me when I completed the entire chess section exactly as Mike first and then did it my way.It will reduce problems for me.But that’s just me.

2 Likes

Oh, now I understand. It is as intended, I am not making round stand. Actually it was fun to figure out how subdivision (not used here) don’t mess up hexagonal shape.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms