Boolean Modifier: Shading issue with smoothing

I ran into this problem with the high-poly model, and I assumed that going for a low-poly would prevent it from happening again.

It happened again. When I have it set to smooth shading, there’s a shading artifact near the notches. I have tried everything I can possibly think of to fix it: auto-smooth, edge split, mark as sharp, remesh, recalculate normals, and shrink wrap, but there’s always some sort of shading issue. At this point I’m probably just going to stick to shade flat unless I try to make it high-poly, because otherwise I won’t be able to move on.

Gotta keep in mind this is a learning process.

3 Likes

Check out the videos by Blender Bros… they have a few that deal specifically with this kind of issue.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

1 Like

Yeah, looks like the only way to resolve this is to lean more towards high-poly. And since the point is to lean more towards low-poly, I’ll fuss with that if I plan to go for high-poly.

Thanks, though!

2 Likes

Boolean operators are handy but it is not an absolute guarantee of a good and clean mesh outcome. For low and high poly. You need to fix things manually (low and high).

For low poly it’s important where you place the boolean operator object. And what kind of mesh it will generate. N-gons are bad. And yes, having switched on smothing it will enhance those bad faces.
So an option you can use is to switch off ‘smoothing’ for the low poly.
This course is all about learning, and not who made the best chess set. Learn first design later.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms