Blueprints save changes even if I don't press "save"

Hello,
I’m confused regarding making changes to blueprints.
If I drag a DefaultPawn_BP into the world, and then edit that instance, it doesn’t matter if I press save or not.
The blueprint always updates anyway, so if I then drag in a new instance, the new one looks the same.
I’m making sure to change the instance in the world outliner, and not change the blueprint itself.

Has this change in UE 4.15.3 ?
And if it has, then why does the save button still exist?
I would like to understand this properly so I don’t run into issues later just because I THINK I understand how this system works.

By the way, does it make sense to compare UE blueprints to Unity prefabs?

Are you editing the object by modifying it into the details tab? If so, that shouldn’t change anything else. If you’re editing by right clicking it > edit then yes, that will open up the original blueprint for modification.

The editor also automatically compiles when pressing play, the option for that is in Edit > Edit Preferences > Level Editor/Play > Auto Recompile Blueprints. The search function in the preferences window is a nifty tool to find such options, that’s how I found it myself just now.

Oooh, I see.
I went back to the video and listened to the challenge instructions again and I misunderstood what he said the first time.
So yes I made changes to the original blueprint instead of the instanced actor.

Thanks!

One thing I noticed now is that if I do change the scale of the instance, and then click this button:

Nothing happens and I get told that no properties reset.
Is scale a property that doesn’t reset like this?

Can you expand on this a bit?

Despise where I edit, the original blueprint is Always saved with the edits.

The lecture does a poor job of pointing this out.

Privacy & Terms