Blueprint runtime error preventing UI color change

I’m using engine version 4.14.3 and I can’t figure out what is wrong here… The aiming color stays fixed to yellow, even when I change the initial firing state in the code. I’ve re-created the blueprint configuration after getting a crash the first time (just like in the video), but continue to get the same error:

Error Blueprint Runtime Error: Accessed None trying to read property BP Aiming Component Reference from function: 'Get_AimPoint_ColorAndOpacity_0' from node: Return Node in graph: Get_AimPoint_ColorAndOpacity_0 in object: PlayerUI_BP with description: Accessed None trying to read property BP Aiming Component Reference

Why is the BP Aiming Component Reference returning None? My blueprint:

I figured this out, the mistake happened in the previous lecture. At 7:50 Ben connects the “Add to Viewport” exec to the “Set BP Aiming Comp. Reference” exec while also cleaning up the blueprint. I missed making that connection and thought it was only cleanup being done, so my “BP Aiming Component Reference” was never set, returning None when referenced.

4 Likes

Thank you for this!

Seems like it does not solve the problem for me. I still have the same issue even if i am using this BP structure

I am using UE4.26.2

Privacy & Terms