Blueprint nodes duplication and performance question

Hello everyone!
I am actually loving the UE5 courses and I am super happy to have bought them.
I am already a professional developer (not (yet? :slight_smile: ) a game developer, though) and, as for my experience, I always try to not duplicate code lines.

For reference, I am attending the “Variables” tutorial of “Warehouse Wreckage” from “Unreal 5.0 C++ Developer: Learn C++ and Make Video Games”.

We can get, set and print the value of a variable using some nodes; in the video the teacher duplicates the “Get” and the “Print” nodes by calling them in two different parts, like this (for sure this choice improves the readability):

But I have used this alternative, in order to not duplicate nodes:

And here comes my question: does duplicating nodes affect the performance/memory allocation?
Like: under the hood, are we accessing the same variables and the same functions, or references/pointers get duplicated somehow?

Of course this scenario is quite simple and I guess the impact on performance would be minimum, but what about complex projects? What is the best practice?

Thank you in advance!

Best,
Alberto

It’s the same variable you’re using, it shouldn’t make a difference.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms