Block Fury - 80s themed Block Breaker with lots of balls and slow-mo :)

Hey everyone, finally wrapped up on the block breaker part of the course with a bit of a twist. Some blocks contain imprisoned balls, which when released cause a big mess and a fun slow-mo effect, because why not?

https://harmlessdev.itch.io/block-fury

Two main issues I ran into, that need to be addressed, but I don’t know how:

• Hero ball speed occasionally drops, I think this happens when multiple balls collide.
  • Canvas aspect ratio doesn’t stay 4:3 when put full-screen on a 16:9 monitor. So image is still 4:3, but text gets pushed into the borders.

Overall happy with how this went though, and hope you enjoy it too :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Cool design, I particularly liked the way the blocks changed when hit, gives the impression that there’s something more complicated going on. Nice slow mo on the multi-ball too!

Constructive criticism - I would like a bit more of an edge on the paddle so I could direct the ball a little better.

Nice take on it though mate!

1 Like

Thank you KaininAble! Glad you dig the design and slow mo :).

Great point about the edge of the paddle. It’s definitely got too little of a slope on the sides, and coupled with random velocity tweaks, that makes it very difficult to direct the ball. Definitely something I will keep in mind going forward for any future projects - making sure the controls are tight. And hopefully if I have some time during the remainder of this course I can re-visit and update this game too :slight_smile:

Love the design and music

1 Like

Thank you so much! Music is Royalty free music from freesound.org :slight_smile:

Very cool theme and visuals. I also liked the slow motion but I got to get use to it as it changed the gameplay quite a bit, once I did it was really nice.
I was a little disapointed not to be able to bounce the extra balls a lot cause they would disapear after a while but I it would’ve made the game too easy haha
About the ratio no staying 4:3 when full screen, I had the same problem in my game. I couldn’t find a solution, I’m not sure it’s possible on WebGL so I made it impossible to go full screen. Don’t know if that helps.

Great game!

Great design and gameplay. I agree with what has been said so far, plus I like the pace of the game and that you give the player 3 lives in every lvl. The game over screen is inviting to play again. The only thing I would add - especially if you are thinking of more lvl’s - is a LevelSelectMenu.
Keep them coming!

Privacy & Terms