Blender version for Complete Blender Creator 3: Learn 3D Modelling for Beginners

I’m looking at the course Complete Blender Creator 3: Learn 3D Modelling for Beginners and he is using Blender 3.2. The current version on blender.org is 3.6 LTS. I’ve tried beginner tutorials in the past but the difference in UI between version made it difficult. Is it recommended to stick with 3.2 for this course or will the latest work?

EDIT: In case anyone else comes across this, I’m 7 or 8 chapters in and have had no issues following along with 3.6.0.

2 Likes

Unless they specifically announce a change in the UI setup, it’s hard to know when the change will happen. That said, the difference between 3.2 and 3.6 is 3 other versions, so the chance of a change in the UI is greater than say 3.2 and 3.3.

Take a chance and see is all I can recommend at this point.

1 Like

Hi, a reasonable question!

The biggest change in UI was with the introduction of version 2.8.
Sind then the UI changes a little.
Mostly due to new features and different work processes.
But that said, the most hot-keys, menu functions stayed the same.
If not then you can find them easily or ask here in the Ask forum.

See also: WIKI - Where has that Blender button moved to, or renamed to, in the update!

• Blender hotkeys AND menus are context-driven. Meaning, in the mode, or panel you are different options are given.
  • The panel where your mouse is located, is the active panel for hot-key actions.
  • Sometimes a hotkey will do an action without giving some feedback. Which can lead to strange and unexpected Blender behavior. Most students encounter this problem with the extrude function.
  • You can install multiple versions of Blender separately!
  • Using v3.2 will do everything you need, but will miss new features (which are not discussed in the course)
  • Using higher versions, will give you more features, fewer bugs, and more speed. But not necessary for the course.
  • Use f3 and type in the thing you need (context-driven)

I would say install the latest version and if you get in trouble ask here.
This is because sticking to a lower version will give you the same problem when switching over to a newer version at a later moment. And now you can ask and learn!

2 Likes

I would use the latest version of blender Certainly the LTS.

Why? As you will have to adapt to the latest versions anyway in the end. Plus there is little relevant change if any.

The beginner course was only recently updated, and while there is always the chance of things being altered, very little tends to change with the beginner level stuff in modelling. (now that it is settled down from the big change from 2.7) Really all those at Blender have been obsessed with for a while is geometry nodes and they are along way from beginner territory, and not used at all in the beginner GD course.

At the most there may be some buttons moved, or slight renaming for some logical consistency. If it is any difficulty ask here in the ‘Ask’ section and someone will help out. Or odds are it has been asked already and can be found by searching the section.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms