Blender <-> Unreal | Collision & Animation Pipeline |

Editing this post: I solved the most basic ways of importing meshes with collision into Unreal.
—You will see it if you Scroll down.
-Animation Pipeline, for Blender, has been partially solved, but untested(scroll for answer)

Original Post:
For some reason it isnt documented well.

But the simple secret appears to be in any custom collision demonstration.

All you need to do is include a convex mesh along with your mesh file before importing, and hit import all.
That’s the basis of it.

It will import the collision and model as separate mesh assets however; not sure how this is controlled.

I also see this guy mentioned that you’re supposed to name the mesh object in the file to UCX_ModelNameHere. But unless this controls which convex hull is the one of choice, I believe this just to be a naming convention.

1 Like

Sorry actually this might be wrong… I think it auto generated the collision after all :frowning:
Hmm…

I just noticed my convex hull wasn’t applied by mistake. Gonna try again

Ok well nevermind, this isnt working. If anyone has any tips, I’d like to hear it, because I can’t seem to find a simple solution to import some collision into unreal!

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I spent hours researching, and it appears I did everything right. So no idea whats wrong.

The only information the internet has is to add the prefix UCX_ to your collision object’s name in blender/3ds max

I finally found out what was going on. The collision mesh needs to have the same name as the “render mesh” after typing the prefix UCX_.

Someone pointed me to the FBX Static Mesh Pipeline Docs.
I was looking at these before but could not find any information about collision.
Well apparently it was there but well hidden.

From the docs:
"RenderMeshName must be identical to the name of the render mesh the collision mesh is associated with in the 3D application. So if you have a render mesh named Tree_01 in your 3D application, your collision mesh should be in the scene with that mesh and named UCX_Tree_01, and then exported along with the render mesh to the same FBX file. If you need more than one collision object for a mesh, you can extend their names with further identifiers, such as: UCX_Tree_01_00, UCX_Tree_01_01, UCX_Tree_01_02, etc… and they all will be associated as collision for that mesh. "

The pins now shake around instead of falling over sometimes :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ben Just a suggestion but maybe for people who take your unreal course, you could mention how to import collision meshes into unreal.
The requiring steps are worth mentioning:

1. The collision mesh and the render mesh must be in the same file
  2. The collision mesh must contain the prefix UCX_
  3. The collision mesh name and render mesh name must match; having the collision mesh follow the prefix UCX

Optional steps:
4. To have multiple collision meshs for your object, incriment the collision mesh names with the suffix _00 , _01, _02, ect. so unreal knows which one to use.
5. You can also have multiple objects in the same file by having additional naming pairs for your objects and collisions.

2 Likes

Thanks for this Steve. @sampattuzzi fancy showing people how to do this?

Not sure what you have in mind but I did intend the suggestion to be for this “creating_collider_meshes” (lecture 51) that you, Ben made, in the blender course. It could be useful in the unreal course too, but its more important for someone following the modeling course trying to get the files into unreal, since it was so hard for me to find this information despite it being a fairly simple solution.

Btw it actually boils down to a naming syntax to make it more clear:

UCX_[RenderMeshName]_##

Although you still need to note that the RenderMeshName needs to be the same name as the RenderMesh.

There is a few other things in the docs it mentions about some other types of collisions, although I havn’t experiemented with these yet.

They are box collsion(UBX), capsule collision(UCP), and sphere collision(USP), though I’m not entirely sure their purpose since you could just be a convex collision(UCX); only thing I can think of is maybe performance or additional functionality with the collision components.

I am also under the impression that you cannot have non-convex shapes unless they are serpate objects. they demonstrate that in a diagram. (clearing up what convex actually means in the lecture would also help)

Here is the descriptions of these pasted from the Docs:

UBX_[RenderMeshName]_##
Boxes are created with the Box objects type in Max or with the Cube polygonal primitive in Maya. You cannot move the vertices around or deform it in any way to make it something other than a rectangular prism, or else it will not work.

UCP_[RenderMeshName]_##
Capsules are created with the Capsule object type. The capsule does not need to have many segments (8 is a good number) at all because it is converted into a true capsule for collision. Like boxes, you should not move the individual vertices around.

USP_[RenderMeshName]_##
Spheres are created with the Sphere object type. The sphere does not need to have many segments (8 is a good number) at all because it is converted into a true sphere for collision. Like boxes, you should not move the individual vertices around.

UCX_[RenderMeshName]_##
Convex objects can be any completely closed convex 3D shape. For example, a box can also be a convex object. The diagram below illustrates what is convex and what is not: Convex.gif

Side note as far as the unreal course goes, the most important things left out of it was no mention or usage of construction helpers, and also logging to the screen with GEngine.

better for @ben or @Michael_Bridges to take this then

@ben @sampattuzzi

I could make a guest appearance in the unreal course and show them the collider+mesh import process?

Yes mike will appear on unreal course and sam will appear on Blender course. Thats a better way to do it.

Haha actually in case it wasn’t obvious the reason I posted this was because this lecture was about the collider+mesh import process already. I had difficulty with it because i was not using Unity, and it assumes you can set the collision of the object to a separate asset and/or is detected auto magically if its convex.

Actually perhaps Mike means he could appear on both? That would work too.

Another thing that is implied later is that your FBX files will contain animations in them, but when you import into unreal you dont get any animations… Actually, just realizing how, this was probably because he was using a blend file in Unity. FBX isnt used for animations is it?
I figured I would deal with this problem when it came about.

Yes the FBX file can contain the animations also

Hmm… I c, Well I will have to figure this out on my own later. So it would also be a good mention in the course, since Unreal is basically just as popular as Unity.

Alright I did a bit of research on this. Blender is actually notorious for incompatibility issues with Unreal when it comes to animation.

I have not tested it, but what I’ve gathered so far.

1. Your armature must have a Bone named ‘Root’. This bone should not deform any mesh data.

2. When exporting the mesh, only export the armature and mesh data. For clarity’s sake it seems best not to have any animations for this, so that unreal can expect to only be importing a skeletal mesh.

3. When importing your skeletal mesh, make sure ‘Use T0As Ref Pose’ is ticked. In laymens terms, this means, “Use frame 0 as reference pose”.
    Urban legend says its possible to make it work without this, but others have not had success in doing so.

^Sceen of the ‘Use T0As Ref Pose’ option.

4. Uncheck Import Animations. We will be importing the animations seperatly.
    Leave skeleton set to None so that it will create a skeleton for this mesh using the data.
    Hit import. You should now have your skeletal mesh working in Unreal. (minus the scale mite be off but thats a different issue)

5. In Blender, Create an animation for your mesh, Or open your file with the desired animation on it.
    Export this but include only armature data. Name it something else such as human_anim1 so that it you are not replacing your mesh file.

6. Import this now animation fbx into unreal. Unreal should detect you are trying to import an animation.
    Select the skeletal mesh asset you imported earlier as your skeletal mesh.
    Hit Import.

7. You should now have a working skeletal mesh asset and animation asset in Unreal.
    Note: the skeletal mesh might be sized 10x despite being imported at the same scale. The animation should still play ok anyway.

And thats what I gathered so far. I’ve yet to try this but its a starting point at least.
I’m not sure if you can import multiple animations at once or in the same file; since I havn’t tried it yet or done enough research.
This condensed list is based off the useful video I found on youtube:

^Reference Video

I will likely try this at some time in the future. I’m working on Mike’s bunny right now though :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for putting together this great research. We won’t be making a lecture for this just yet but might do in future.

For now, I recommend renaming the thread to something searchable so other students will find it when looking for Unreal <-> Blender import. We can make it a collaborative working through experience.

1 Like

I missed this prior to today so renaming would help i think too
Really nice research there and having done both the courses and a question that pops up regularly in the blender Q&A this really will help students i think :slight_smile:
Thanks @Steve1222

Hmm I actually took a break to take some game music lectures on Udemy, but I think I should get back to the modeling course for now x).

I definetly want to try out animating for Unreal at some point. So when I finally do perhaps I could post back here, or make a new post entirely…

I didn’t even know you could search for lectures on this site. Hmm the things your mind ignores without your knowledge…

a search for collision unreal did pop up here it looks like though.

Ok I renamed it anyway and it shows first on the list now :stuck_out_tongue:

(you can rename it for me if you’d like)

I tell you it sure would be helpful to demonstrate animations later. Maybe @Michael_Bridges could make some money off us by making an animation course :slight_smile:
I do not see a blender or unreal course on Udemy dedicated to animation.
I do not even see a character animation course.

Maybe I will drill Marc into showing us later by asking about it in the Q&A xD

This would dive into a bit of trouble setting up working animations using bone blends and ect in unreal, as @sampattuzzi vaguely showed us. So if you guys partnered together to get a working game in unreal using pre-made character animations, I would imagine it to be a very useful course, since both are tricky topics.

I will have to figure out how to do it on my own either way, but discovering this course helped that journey before, so I could imagine putting that topic out there could surely help alot of people aswell.
Especially considering character animation is considered debatably the most tricky topic in 3d modeling, in particularly when you include the whole model-rig-animate-export-program character scenario xD

Hi @Steve1222

The blender course does teach you the basics of animation in the lamp section although i agree it does not cover engine specifics or character modelling,rigging and animation.

I believe in the Q&A section somewhere in the animated lamp a detailed explaination of how to import into unreal was posted .
I am a bit distracted today (Road resurfacing outside) so the noise is not helping me here.

To be fair as well its a subject that is a more advanced topic and also is something i need as well for shadow stalkers to progress :slight_smile:

I’ll help the best i can but we shall wait on Michael’s response on courses.

Shadow stalkers? Very out of context, your game or? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You’re distracted, man I got in a fight yesterday and the last time I posted to you in the Q&A i was nearly arrested with my friend for him having drugs on him lolol. So hey, it could be worse lols :dark_sunglasses: :clinking_glasses:

Ah I just looked it up using that search tool, thats cool you had time time to also take the unreal course while also being the modeling assistant lol.I was trying to finish off Sam’s game myself but the AI wasn’t working and I moved on to this Blender course in hopes to solve it later and start from scratch.
*Cough … @DanM hear my prayer. We never solved that but I do plan to at some point. heh heh. (that Burst fire was never quite working, was it?)
I take it your AI firing was working okay for you then Marc?
I also had problems with the shooting animation not working when turning . Still not sure how project specific these problems were.

My AI firing seemed to work fine but to be honest i havent worked with Unreal in a while.
Shadow Stalkers is my own combination of the building escape and the endless runner game which is posted in the showcase section.
I stopped the course as it was being reworked before it was continued on and so the newer content (Like burst fire) is not in my project yet. My idea is similar i got to a point where i wanted my own models as characters so returned to the blender course and it was about then i was asked if i wanted to job :slight_smile:

I am actually on most of the courses (I think i dont have the GIMP one or the Unity Cert).
Dan is the best man to help as he was my go to guy in unreal but the shooting whilst turning issue i think you need to use an ovveride of sorts. Having a similar issue in unity with animations in that my mage casts but slide along the floor when doing it to mvoe to the enemy. It might be a similar solution there.

Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sometimes I think @DanM is more skilled then @Ben haha. He seems to know nearly everything; I even wonder why hes not working on his own projects, since he seems so highly adept to coding.
But can’t blame him for not solving my convoluted uproject especially when it can barely be opened and I rage-give-up from the discussion lol.

I’d consider the unity course too if my time wasn’t likely to run out getting these games going. I’ll give your problem a search but unless its animated with the same technique it probably won’t help too much; If i can only remember how that method was even used. Like I said @sampattuzzi could team up with Mike to get it working. I do realize usually ideas are ideally put into practice when the person sets out themselves to do it, but you can’t deny it would make a great course :thinking: -> :bulb:! !

:rofl: :incoming_envelope: :us::uk: :rofl: :United Kingdom of America:

Edit: I can’t find that mage post you mentioned, but thats ok if you dont want this thread getting too long.

Privacy & Terms