Blender export file to Unity

What are the benefits of using FBX compared to the use of Blender files directly in Unity?
Thank you.

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

Some of the biggest benefits I notice are:

Flexibility - supports a wide range of features such as rigging and animation

Efficiency - only have to export the data that you actually need

Compatibility - standard file format with unity

Fast - really fast because of FBX using binary data

If you you want a more in depth response, just let me know, I’ll be glad to help!

Thank you for your quick response. Great, there are clear benefits.
What about textures and materials? Do they support the same material types or it is possible to get more complex nodal materials to Unity using Blender files directly? The limit, that Blender is not exporting the texture files into the FBX file cannot be solved by the Package option in Blender? Is this the problem with Blender only or FBX doesn’t include textures normally?

1 Like

FBX supports the transfer of texture and material data, including basic material properties such as
color
roughness
metallic values.
However, the support for more complex nodal materials can vary depending on the specific features and settings used in Blender and Unity.

When exporting FBX files from Blender, you can choose to include or exclude textures, and the Package option can be used to bundle textures into a separate ZIP file. However, it’s important to note that not all texture types and settings may be compatible between Blender and Unity. For example, Blender’s procedural textures may not be transferred to Unity as expected, and you may need to use image textures instead.

In general, it’s recommended to keep your textures and materials as simple as possible to ensure better compatibility between Blender and Unity. You may need to adjust your materials and textures in Unity after importing your FBX file to achieve the desired look.

So, while FBX does support the transfer of texture and material data, it’s important to be aware of the potential limitations and differences between Blender and Unity’s implementation of materials and textures.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms