Blender Anime sculpt blocking out

Hi, I am pretty new to Blender, though making progress. I am working my way through Grant Abbit’s anime tutorial, and at 6% though I am stuck. I am having to restart so many times as i make my blocking 3D. I know that experience makes it easy, but this is the first time since i started 6months ago that i cannot move passed this one stage. Eyes, Mouth, they are all fine. its the head that ends up wonky, messy. Is there a way i can restrict the proportional edit function to stop messing with my scale? As i view the head with planes i try to get the curve of the head, and then it looks like an alien attacked her. any suggestions would be great. ta

1 Like

General Q&A note

Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left-hand side.
On that menu dropdown is ‘save screenshot’.
Also, if possible, include the lecture time and name/number that is relevant to the problem/issue.

• In EDIT mode you can change the proportional edit function (hotkey ‘o’), the in GRAB mode (g-key) and using your mouse scroll wheel.

• You can also HIDE parts of the mesh not to be influenced by the proportional edit, but this trick can lead to other problems.

As said in the state, always add a screen dump, because we’re not sure what your exact problem is and which option you’ve switched on/off …

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve personally found proportional editing to be challenging as well, simply because it’s less intuitive than a lot of the other stuff. Here are a few things you might want to try:

• Experiment with changing the influence-circle size with your mouse wheel while making the transform. Even if you can’t see the circle overlay when you do this, the influence size will still change. Smaller circles and [more frequent, smaller-magnitude] transforms will lead to less distortion than a few larger transforms - that’s something straight out of the Sculpting part of Grant’s Blender Complete course. I’m not sure he explicitly mentions it anywhere, but I realized very quickly that big moves = weirdness a lot of the time.
  • Because of what’s been happening, consider doing this part of the modelling process in a “double layout” workspace - two viewports side-by-side to let you see a 3/4 view and a front/side view at the same time. This can help you overcome the limitations of front/side views (I suspect this is what you mean by “viewing the head with planes”) and allow you to adjust transforms more accurately before confirming them.
  • Check that the falloff type (in the proportional editing dropdown menu) is something that works for you. It shouldn’t make a drastic difference if you’re using smaller movements, but you might find a new preference.
  • Failing all that, it would be best for now to try and use other tools to achieve an acceptable look and continue on with the course (try bevels, insets, subdividing edges, and also learning about various use-cases for the transform pivots), just so you aren’t stuck here forever. You can always improve your proportional editing skills with practice exercises on your own later.

Several of the more experienced members have also pointed out that sometimes, the answers to these sorts of problems actually end up getting revealed later on in the course. Not sure if that will happen here since I haven’t done this course yet, but the important thing is to keep building your skills as best you can and not to get bogged down.

Don’t give up! Others have succeeded before you, others will succeed after you, and you will succeed too. Best of luck =)

3 Likes

With so little to go on, see, it is hard to say, but I suspect the Proportional editing is just working on too large an area. Scroll the mouse wheel watch the numbers top left corner of the 3d pane make sure the direction you are scrolling is making them smaller. Keep going until you can see the circle of influence, then take it down to a suitable area to affect.

2 Likes

Thanks for that information. I played around with some settings, and yes the proportional editing seemed to be not manipulating the Plane as intended. I will give it another go today. I actually find blocking out quite relaxing. With so many new starts i am pleased that now the whole setting up references is easy now. So many things to learn. I love it. Thank you for the support

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms