Blender 3.1 Crash when converting Curve to Mesh

Blender 3.1 crashes when you try to convert a curve to a mesh, but only if you attempt to retain the curve data using the dialog box. My workaround was to copy the curve before converting it, convert it with checking the “retain” box, and the pasting the original curve back in.

3 Likes

Welcome to this site.
Take some time to look around and take part, support, and encourage other students.

Well got around a problem!
Thanks for telling other students.

I fear it is a computer capability issue. Never heard of the process being any problem before.

1 Like

Thanks for the input, but I doubt that computer capability plays into this. My PC is well above the minimum requirements for blender and only about two months old. It’s a hard crash too, not even graceful.

Also, that should say ‘convert it WITHOUT checking the “retain” box…’ in my original post.

1 Like

So, when I got to the next step (spin) I was unable to do it because there was an extra vertex giving weird geometry. It was separate from all the rest of the vertices, off by itself. Not sure how or why it was there, but I could not get rid of it by any means. Interestingly, I could click on that vertex alone and highlight it but if I click on the rest of the curve, that vertex would also light up.

At any rate, I did a second attempt and everything worked flawlessly and there is not extra vertex. If anyone has a thought about why that happened or how to just delete that vertex without remaking the entire project, let me know.

2 Likes

My own experience of many years of Blender usage is that the strange behavior of Blender will be less when you have more experience.
Blender can become unstable (strange behavior) when you do unlogical 3D Blender configurations. Blender is a complex piece of software, with unlimited combinations.
As a student, you do things that aren’t logical for Blender. Or you accidentally pressed the wrong hotkey combination(s). Or you gave a hotkey instruction in the wrong Blender pannel (where your cursor stands). Who can say what happened in your situation?

The best is to redo or load a previous version. Or append old blender data in a new fresh .blend file.

Have fun, don’t get frustrated. :wink:

No frustration. Just curiosity. Any idea how an extra vertex would arise? More importantly, any thoughts as to why that vertex could not be deleted?

1 Like

No, not really.
A vertex is not only a point in space. It holds also other data, like vertex color for example.
And a vertex can an important (unbreakable) object for another Blender tooling, like vertex groups and or hooks to be controlled by other features.

Difficult to say, from a distance.

Have fun, ask quenstion if in trouble.

1 Like

I googled a little and found that there is report of this issue since 2018, mostly on linux.
I had same problem of hard crash while converting curve to mesh and I am linux user.
I used same work around after reading this topic so thanks

2 Likes

I using Linux also (Ubuntu). But now on Blender 3.1

1 Like

Privacy & Terms