Black Monolith

Probably a bit daft and not exactly an obstacle but I couldn’t resist putting the Black Monolith from 2001 A Space Odyssey into the game, seemed quite appropriate somehow. I am trying to think of a way of using it, perhaps playing Also Sprach Zarathustra as a kind of Easter egg if the player scores enough hits on it.

4 Likes

I’m loving the idea… also it looks like you have the 1:4:9 dimensions too :slight_smile:

There’s a number of possibilities I guess… perhaps it could emit some kind of radiation which reverses the player controls for a short period of time, or interferes with the ability to shoot, or disables shields, or just one of these selected randomly.

It could trigger the exit from this world(level) to another…

It could just be mysterious, and do nothing, but would make the player wonder and try different things to get it to do something :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for those ideas Rob I will have a think, there is a bit of time as I will leave it to the end to implement something. I did indeed use the 1:4:9 ratios, actually 5:20:45 to give it a bit of heft, pity there is no Vector5 to continue the sequence 16:25 into higher dimensions (see I did my research). :grinning: As it happens, I think the x dimension feels a little too thick when scaled up but I can live with that for the sake of ‘authenticity’. :slight_smile:

1 Like

hehe, I’ve not seen the films in ages, and haven’t read the books, I ran off to Wikipedia to see what I could find - hehe :slight_smile:

Be great if you can add some features like that which keep to the theme also, I read that one of the monoliths was allowed to use its descretion to destroy lesser life forms… maybe if could attack the odd enemy too! :smiley:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms