Bishop Chop

After adding the Boolean modifier the piece has come into its own!

Cheers!

4 Likes

After looking carefully at the model I decided to shift the rounded edge of the “Boolean” difference object off center to lessen the distortion when it modifies the face. Instead of the object sitting over top of the center vertices on the face.

I think it looks much cleaner now.
(Shade Smooth)

(Shade Flat)

5 Likes

Well done!

I don’t remember if this is covered in the course, but for smooth shading having clean topology is really important. Boolean usually make a mess of the topology, so it needs to be cleaned by hand.

3 Likes

The notch artifacts might be solved by the Object Data Properties Panel, Normals dropdown, Auto Smoothing box. A bit of playing with the angle slider default set to 30 degrees might be needed, just keep an eye on the whole model if you do.

Otherwise, it will be as @bOBaN says a bit of topology manipulation.

2 Likes

Yea I’m going through those options at this moment. I know I had auto smooth normals and haven’t moved any faces.

Also I guess when I cut the notch (using the boolean modifier) at a slight angle & tappered the top and bottom faces; it caused blender to mangle the rear face due to not being an even transition from front to back. So I will most likely have to use both ideas here to better suit a model with shade smooth enabled.

2 Likes

If you do decide to edit the mesh marking the ‘edge’ of the cut/head joins ‘sharp’ might be good enough.

2 Likes

after some “normal smoothness angle” ajustment & removing and adjusting some vertices and edge locations i think it looks much better.

cheers!!!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms