Bevel working weirdly

Hey for some reason my bevel is not doing the same thing as the instructors is there a way to change this?

2 Likes

Did you apply the scale of the pillar?

But to be honest, I don’t have a clue, without seeing the original.

2 Likes

Are you thinking about the center-cut(s)? You get that with the scroll wheel.

2 Likes

Looks like you missed to apply the scale, i tried to rebuild you situation. With 1,1,1 scale it worked fine, with 1,1,4 scale i end up like you.

3 Likes

That is correct for a one segment bevel on the existing geometry. (you had already bevelled that edge, and a loop cut goes across it). It may be a bit taller than wide due to non applied scales as already mentioned by @Malachanis

If you were expecting more divisions, increase the segments in the pop up panel or roll the mouse wheel.

2 Likes

I am going to say the same as everyone else. Apply your scale before bevel. Statistically speaking if something is unexpected with bevel, you need to apply your object transforms.

1 Like

It’s possible that you have an extra vertex in there. I have been modelling a lot using bevels lately and I have run into this problem many times. This can happen for several reasons. When two objects are used for booleans and each had a vertex nearly occupying the same place it could look like one vertex is left. Extruding faces in place and forgetting to undo the action (so there are extra vertices). Lastly duplicating or borrowing faces from other objects to make a new object (this I do many times and forget to move the face from the original object).

To fix this, go to edit mode. Select all vertices and push “m” there will be an option from the menu titled “merge” it provides an option at the bottom saying “by distance.” What this will do is merge all vertices occupying the same space, hopefully solving the issue.

Some vertices will be near each other, but not occupying the same space so it won’t get these vertices. However, after performing the action, there will be a menu at the bottom left of the screen that will allow you to adjust the distance in which the vertices merge. Watch out not to make the merge distance number too high or you will merge vertices you need (speaking from experience).

Sorry for the long read, but I like to provide all the possibilities of the problem and their solutions so you won’t need to spend hours finding a solution (like I did). If any of these options don’t solve the issue, let me know and I’ll think of more ways to fix this. :+1:

2 Likes

Before doing the vertex merge. Select that area, figure out how many vertices should be there ( I am guessing 6) and then have blender tell you how many are selected.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms