Bevel problem

hello :slight_smile:
I don’t understand why the bevel tool doesn’t work for me in certain situations.
Can’t follow along with the pillar tutorial.
if someone can explain this to me i would be very grateful :slight_smile:

here it is working properly.

but for example on these edges I cant get it to work:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! :slight_smile:

You might have some overlapping geometry. Select all (A) then press M and select Merge by Distance.

If there’s overlapping geometry you’ll get a message at the bottom of the screen:

Then try bevelling those edges again.

3 Likes

Yes Myn has it, This often seems to happen to students at this point. Double geometry almost inevitably the cause. Selecting all verts and merge by distance almost always solves it.

1 Like

thanks for the help! I just tried to merge by distance, and it did remove 3 vertices, but i still can’t bevel those edges. any other things to try?

The only other thing I can think of is to apply the scale of your object. If you PM me your .blend file I can take a look, if you’d like. :slight_smile:

The scale is applied.
I can’t seem to attach the file on the forums. maybe i’m doing something wrong but it doesn’t accept the .blend format.
Thank you so much again! I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

The only other thing I can suggest is to make sure the whole model is selected (press A) before you’re using Merge By Distance, and to increase the merge distance a bit:
I tried recreating the shape you’re working with and had no issues bevelling until I created some overlapping geometry.

Otherwise I’m out of suggestions, sorry! Someone else might have some ideas.

To share a file you have to upload it to a file sharing site perhaps like Google drive, then share an accessible link to it.

Look at your objects in vertex mode. You should see the selection from each vert leading out to the next vert that is not selected. If it does not show up, there is double geometry involved.

Increasing that merge distance, carefully, should catch any not perfectly on top on one another.

Privacy & Terms