Bevel Modifier limit not working correctly for lower arm

hello. i seem to have some problems with the angle limit with the bevel modifier for my lower arm. the bevel limit will stopp everything from beveling unless i turn it of, or i have the limit be 0 degrees. i have 89 degrees working on my upper arm.

i have checked the normals, merged by distance, and the edge angles with the overlay (giving me 0.000 degrees and 90.000 degrees depending on the edge). i have also duplicated the object, with the duplicate also having the same problem

the extra loops with 0 degree angles that you see in the picture is extra geometry that i have used to finetune origin placements etc.

while putting it at a 0 degree would work in this instance (with some extra geometry, since it would bevel 0 degree edges) i would like to understand the problem for future objects.

so i remade the thing from scratch, and the problem seem to be from the top extrusion.
extruding it downwards makes the bevel apply, while extruding it upwards (or moving the extruded face) makes it not.

Question is, why is that the case and how do one work around it?

1 Like

so i tried doing 2 loop cuts instead of subdividing two edges of the top face, this makes a bit of extra polygons, but you can dissolve the edges created on the bottom without problem

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I rarely use the bevel modifier. I do it by hand. I select edges needed to be beveled in edit model , then Ctrl b move the mouse and use scroll wheel or click and fill in options

1 Like

Me too. But it is what Mikey introduced in the course, using the modifier. Quick, automatic, and easy is not always easier! I guess tools will get ever more able to guess what is wanted and take control as time moves on.

Privacy & Terms