Bevel issue in modular vehicles

Hi,

At 2:50 in the Blender Character Creator v2.0 for Video Games Design Course → Modular Vehicles → Building the Vehicle top video I’m getting a weird uneven bevel after following the instructions. I’ve checked the object transforms but they are fine. Any ideas please?

1 Like

I think the difference of how bevel acts for you and in the course comes from different shape you have. If you want it straight, (and by straight I mean 45* angle) you need to make sure both X and Y differences are the same. I know its unclear, so just to show you top view:

And this is the effect:

If you make it uneven (this is obviously exaggerated):

You get this effect:

So if you just scale down 2 top edges in x and y(like if you scale from top-view), you wont get even distance, as it is measured by percentage of y and x lenghts of edges, as it scales down to retain ratio between x and y edges of the rectangle (and by rectangle I understand the top of the vehicle).
Hope this makes sense.

2 Likes

Did you apply scale?

If you have a different scale in the YX or Z direction, (not 1).
Then your bevel will have the same scale (not one) ratio.

1 Like

Thank you both for your replies.

I’ve gone back in and created the roof again making sure that the scale values are the same (see screenshot) but I’m still not getting the result that Grant is getting. Instead of using G as he does to move the top face inwards I tried scale this time. This is perplexing…

Please ignore me guys. Following on with the video it shows from a different angle that the result I’m getting is what Grant is getting. It just didn’t look the same from the angle I was looking at.

Sorry :see_no_evil: and thanks again for you help.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I fail to see the the fundamental difference between what you’ve got in your first screenshot and what Grant is getting in his result. For him the front screen also has sharper angle than that side one (and well, this is how windscreens are constructed anyway). If you really want it square as in my example, you cant scale nor freehand G it. If scale is equal in x and y, it will keep the proportions of length of that both edges. What you have to do is go to top view and from base cube-shape you can go to snapping and Increment:

Than you can move one edge in y and second in x by the same amount of steps:

But to be fair, I wouldn’t be too strict about this particular shape to be exactly the same as instructors, just go with the shape you like. Unless you struggle to get the shape you want - this is entirely different story. But in this case I would personally advice not to bother too much for now, as you are learning. Don’t stay on this step too long, you can come back to this later, when you have more confidence. Sorry I cant help you in a different way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just experimented.
I think Medial has it right, the only difference is the proportions of the starting block.

My pair were top scaled in the same and beveled the same.

But seems while I was away experimenting you have realised there was not so much difference after all. All good then.

2 Likes

Thank you both for your replies. I will keep the points in mind for the future. Great to be part of such a wonderful community.

Best wishes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms