Best Turn Based course ever

This course is amazing! I have always wanted to make a TTB game and this is something I can show my friends and hopefully make a finished game with them.
The code is so clean and easy to work with I made a rough hex grid with a few hours of struggle.

I am currently looking more into DrawPaths and FOV on the grid and also looking for a better way to handle positioning/level design because it doesn’t line up with snap grid and hexes are created by code so no ground in the scene.
Would any of the “save in play” assets store work for this?
I guess I could have a prop grid I take away on play.

1 Like

I’m glad you liked the course! Nice work on the Hex logic, it looks great!

Field of view is a matter of firing rays around the Unit and seeing where they stop, I did a basic version of that in the original prototype, you can download the project files to see how I handled it there Code Monkey - I made XCOM in 25 HOURS! (plus Special Announcement!)

For perfect positioning, you mean visually? You can just scale the walls to go inside one another, doing that will hide those connections between walls.
I’m not sure what “save in pay” assets you mean, there’s tons of level design tools in the store although I haven’t really used any of them, normally I just place things manually but I don’t tend to do much level design work.

The Hex logic might be a bit off but its almost there. Its the PathLength causing me issues at the moment. Something to do with the Fcost, gotta go back to redblob.

With the positioning I am trying to make a 3D grid.
https://youtu.be/o1AePC6UZJ8

The ground is generated so there is not a refence in the scene view, and with it being 3D I’m having to reposition a lot during play mode. I went and purchased Play Mode Save | Utilities Tools | Unity Asset Store and it works alright. I can now save multiple objects in play mode but I cant drop in new prefabs to the scene because it deletes the child for some reason. If I put the prefab in scene first then I can save the new position of any object.
I also found I can put the grid snap to half width of the HexCell to get somewhat better positioning. With the offset positions the grid doesn’t line up with odd rows.

You want to save game data while in play mode? Including the generated map? Sure there’s tons of save systems on the store, normally I just build my own, depending on what type of data you’re saving it can be relatively simple, I covered the basics here Code Monkey - Simple Saving and Loading with JSON to a File

Privacy & Terms