Be the first to post for 'We’re About To Pick-Up Pace'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

1 Like

The fundamentals were sound, it’s good for beginners up to this point. I did watch everything so far on 2x speed as I knew it would be material that I was already familiar with, but great job as always Ben & Rick! Also only 1 spelling mistake which I commented on in that modules Q&A!

3 Likes

I’d agree with Lee. Really nice how fundamentals and theory are added in early in the course. Not too overwhelming that someone new can’t pick up on the lessons, but a far cry from hand-holding or just showing code on the screen and people type it in on their own too. Good work!

3 Likes

Hi Ben ! Hi everyone reading this !

So far I really love the course. The pace is perfect, I have a good understanding of the fundamentals and the theory and I fell comfortable to take on the mini challenges and play and experiment by myself.

I tried to finish the first version of this course many times but due to work and other activities I never got past the Block Breaker Game. I intend to finish this course ! Nothing is going to be in my way this time !

Compared to the first version (that was already awesome by the way), I would say you nailed the pacing down ! It feels more natural, I have the impresion to go quickly into creating stuff. And the fact that there is something to look at for the first project and not “just” stuff happening in the console will surely motivate people even more.

Great job once again !

1 Like

Alan Turing is incorrectly spelled as Alan Turning on the screen! Right as Ben tells us how to spell it! Made me laugh but it needs to be fixed…

Oops, fixed!

Thanks also for everyone’s comments.

1 Like

Fantastic intro to the course for beginners! Well done and looking forward to the rest of the course, especially as it increases in complexity/difficulty.

Good job guys. IMO, Learning is more effective when it’s fun. This lesson is far superior to the version 1 equivalent which I seem to recall was all console based. This is a fun little project. I’m already pretty familiar with the material, so it has been pretty easy so far, but still enjoyable.

BTW: I missed the first question in the quiz. Since Start() and Update() are covered briefly in this course I thought that an experienced c# programmer would miss a little something that was Unity specific, but frankly they could have picked that up by skimming.

Eager to continue.

Best Wishes,
CambriaWiz

Just some feedback.

My daughter is progressing slowly though the older course and is at number wizard so i have the comparison and i did the unity 1.0.
The pace does seem faster but i think its because we get into something graphical sooner and although the same teaching the addition of the asset pack seems to make the content be quicker progressing.
I am hoping i word this correctly but looking back at the original course i think there was a lot of focus and maybe a little too much in ensuring some of the basics were understood and that increased the length of some of the videos possibly?
This has the right pace and the right amount of hand holding. I’m managing the challenges quite well (I should be) and i dont think that they are too difficult at this stage for new students.
I like that we went into the layout of code style that was adopted later in the original course. As i look back at the older course with my daughter its not as easy to read as this newer layout and she makes a lot more mistakes with the older layout. I am converting her for my sanity!

Looking forward to the rest of the course to refresh my learning!

1 Like

Feeling dead excited to be taking this course. I’m quite pleased with everything so far, and you seem to be a fantastic instructor. Seeing code explained as it relates to games has been 180 from the CNIT experience. It seemed it should be all the same, and in a certain light perhaps it is, but, or maybe I am just thick, it isn’t. Holy ****, I might actually learn to make my game.

Hi Guys

So far I absolutely love the course. You’ve let us dive into unity very early what made me feel very excited about the further progress. I find the pace approriate and you focus on the important things without missing some relevant details.
The only thing that I would’ve appreciated so far is if you made some kind of quick resume of the syntactical (or other) details of C# that are taught in this section (could be a short document in the resources). This is because I’ve had C++ in school an I am already pretty comfortable with it. I dont mean that you recap the specific changes from C++ to C#, but in general the details of the things that every (more or less modern) object-oriented programming language comes with. Then the people that have already some experience in programming could immediately skip to the challenges :slight_smile: .
This is only an idea though, fast forwarding works quite well too :smiley: .

Keep up the good work :+1:t6: Im very excited about the further sections of the course.

Peace out :v:t6:

PS: I hope this comment is in the right place :slight_smile:

Hello everyone

I am really enjoing the time with this couse. Everything was very clear and nice explained.
I would recommend this course for all beginner programmers :slight_smile: .

Thank you for great job !

I have been enjoying both the pace of the course and the ability to pick it up and put it down as my life allows. Very nice and I have have recommended it to a number of my friends and family who have shown interested in learning programming.

I’m quite enjoying this course. I started the previous (now “2D” focused), as well as some of your other courses a year and half ago, but haven’t actually finished any of them! This is giving me a chance to start fresh and stay focused on a single course so I don’t overwhelm myself ^.^; Hopefully I’ll get back to the other ones when I can as well.

Ben mentions learning about Turing Machines as a fun diversion. In a similar vein, I absolutely recommend “From NAND to Tetris”. It leads you to understanding how the simple AND/OR/NOT types of Boolean logic are the foundation of Boolean algebra and, really, of all modern computing. (They provide the first half of the content for free, and it’s several weeks of great content).

If you prefer a book, you may enjoy “Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software”.

Privacy & Terms