Be the first to post for 'The Player Experience'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

Hello,

I would say my player experience could be defined in these words: “small but studiously smart”.

Not sure if the vocabulary is chosen correctly. You can find a elaborate version of my game concept here: STALLED game concept

Would appreciate the feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

Emotional,Heroic,Achievement.

Emotional :- Well every story has its ups and downs but it is the ride people enjoy.
Heroic :- Gotta be the heroic, flex them muscles!
Achievement :- Not just the end game but to experience it though leveling up, quest completion act of a story completed.

3 Likes

The player experience in my game can be defined in 3 words: Survival, Comical, and Town-building. I want the combat to be a fight for survival where the player is not superman but has to plan their attacks carefully to avoid death. I also want the game to have a comical feel to it not only in the dialogue but also in the characters and the environment. My game will also have the player focus on building up a town and managing their residents to gain access to more items and to help defend from the dangers of the world.

1 Like

High adventure heroism

1 Like

Of course “the chicken crossed the road” because he was stapled to the adventurer !

2 Likes

Unique, unkown, TV

I think I can sum up my experience with the following

Unforgiving, Surviving ‘somehow’ (desperate), Serious, Driven

The environment and setting is wild/post-apoc

Unforgiving in the sense that things aren’t made easy. Coupled with ‘Surviving Somehow’ - there are things that you must do (and the game does not forgive if you do not do them) to manage your character and keep them in play.
It’s serious and driven. A hardcore experience where there is little/no humor. You’re stepping in to the shoes of someone that’s doing it tough, in a world that has seen better days. Situations arriving where ethics are questioned.

Inspired by titles such as Telltale Games The Walking Dead - lots of swearing, blood, adult themes etc. Not a game for kids. Not necessarily a ‘fun’ game either - serious. unforgiving. dark. The fun comes from people enjoying this setting and the ‘seriousness’ that follows it.
It just so happens I find that fun (and It’s also the development journey I find fun too - I realize this sort of thing wouldn’t necessarily sell very well, but this is something I do for the fun of doing it, and I’m happy with that. If I can make some money at the end of it, that’s a bonus! but I can live without it)

@Rick_Davidson talked about harmony with your art style and themes etc all reflecting each other. Rick, I want to ask about contrast. This is more to do with the dark/serious/unforgiving theme in terms of features and controls, and pairing it to a lighter, approachable art style (here, here, and here are examples I like). The themes and features I want to create are (as described above) dark, serious, etc - but the idea of it being viewed in this ‘cartoon-y’ environment (which normally would appeal to younger people and different themes) appeals to me.

At this stage, as per the Course suggests, we shouldn’t be thinking about Art Style so much etc, which is understandable, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this ‘Harmony vs Contrast’

1 Like

1.empathy on the hero of the game.
2.curiosity of exploring this new world. in the eyes of one of its people.
3.cold sweat/cold feet: the type of coldness sweat/feet you feel when you know things are going to get worse and when you are simply too nervous of the outcome, soon. {i guess that means suspense}.
4.simply broken at how unfairly things can go, that no words come out.

oh snap, im guessing my game is turning out really dark :smiley: at least i hope it does, from a psychological point of view.

1 Like

@Bejasc Yes, I think you can absolutely pair elements that seem contrary to make a particular experience. The goal of the art style, story, mechanics and everything else is to make the player think and feel a certain way. So if you have a pristine, happy world but a dark, strange underlying tone to the game it can work quite well. Exactly as you point out, harmony doesn’t mean everything is obviously the same, it just means they are working together.

I look forward to see how your game progresses!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, Rick!

Yeah, I guess one way of looking how the player might feel with my
experience, is the ‘comical’ / light-hearted style of the art would
possibly give a false sense of things being ‘easy’ (in my case, this could
be a good thing) - as well as any appeal from adult language/themes mixed
with this art style.Just goes to show that things don’t have to be the same
to work together.

You and me both looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

Theme: Mysterious world, adventure, brave, lonely but friendly

I’ll be drawing inspiration from The Moomins in terms of ambient feel and art style.
Music will be from the Ultimate Game Music Collection that I bought in the asset store some months ago.

David & Goliath, Intimidated, Exposed, skillful.

I posted my initial reactions here: Courage In The Face of Despair

The focus is on: Sorrow, Renewal, Wonder, Guardianship:

I do not share my thoughts very often here, but I need to share this one because I wanted to say that this lecture was one of the best lectures I ever see.

And, to do my part - My Player Experience will be defined as “Frenetic, Brutal and humorous”. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m aiming for bright swashbuckling adventure. I’m not trying to be grim or dark or ambiguous. The player is free to break some of the normal social rules, but is ultimately a good guy, a loveable rogue. Trying to capture the freedom of black flag, but the heroics of Jason and the argonauts (the film).

I like your thoughts about that. One of my favorite game experiences was with “The Binding of Isaac”. At first glance it feels kind of cute, until you start thinking about it. It is clearly about children abuse and every game element is quite disturbing, if it wasn’t for the cute optics and easy to learn movements. It is really unsettling, but not too heavy and gross, that playing is no fun.

My player experience is about:

Protective
Squabble
Exploration
Archievements

Unfortunately I do not have a long term idea in mind, yet, so I will probably come back to this for refinement.

But it’ll probably something like:

• on a mission (maybe some kind of soldier who, amongst others, was sent out to accomplish sth)

• state of war (maybe a battle amongst nations/races a la Avatar, or an ongoing battle between humans and monsters)

• endangered (maybe the human race is about to go extinct, or the nation our protagonist is from is about to collapse)

• contrast (there should be some noticable contrast, e.g. beautiful scenery and cities on the winner’s side, but destruction on the loser’s end kind of thing …)

This was a very good lecture I must say, and I’m happy I put some thought into it. Actually, I quite like the above, so I might pursue these ideas further.

1 Like

currious, ancient, mysterious, lonely feel

I want to build FP dungeon crawler in Dungeon Master style of feel. My Aim is to make player feel like exploring ancient hidden city of long gone race, or maybe not gone yet? Full of notes from the past, treasures, puzzles an mysterious places and events from the past of the place.

Privacy & Terms