Be the first to post for 'Texture The Terrain'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

@Rick_Davidson At 9:40 of this lecture the sound turns to static. Thanks.

1 Like

Many thanks for pointing this out @George_Rooney!
I’ll fix it now.

1 Like

I committed to an art style and textures of my own and i found myself bogged down so using the textures from the course until later on.
Added the post processing stack to make it look extra funky.

I added it to the Q&A but last lecture i had a difference in adding terrain and this lecture the provided normal maps need to be changed from default to normal maps in unity.

Looking forward to later sections but sadly i have the school run today!

Edit :- Same issue with the normal map in the next lecture although if i actually imported instead of cheating and unzipping to the folder i could import as a normal map. Either way unless the student knows to change the asset over it wont allow them to add the texture :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m going for a desert look, but I’ll need to look for different textures later (this uses Rock1 and one of the Mushroom textures to look like sand).

3 Likes

My terrain placeholder so far :

9 Likes

Cool terrains :ok_hand:

I wanted some grasslands in it (for now)

4 Likes

Thought I’d use some sandy terrain

4 Likes

Greetings All,

My game idea is to base it in a Arizona kind of feel. With that in mind I did my best to put together a terrain that was reminiscent of that region. I may have taken a few liberties with size of map as well as number of textures. I realize this was supposed to be a quick throw it together thing, but a few hours isn’t THAT bad right? (grins)

Jenn

Overview

Perspective on Ground

7 Likes

Hey Jelly,

You just have to love that purple texture. It’s SO impressive. Good use of it. I like what I see. :slight_smile:

Jenn

1 Like

Hey Manu,

You got water in already! NICE JOB! I thought I would wait to see if they were going to introduce it in the course first, but I think you have a winning map there. :slight_smile:

Jenn

2 Likes

Hi Jenn, thanks a lot :slight_smile:
I just couldn’t wait to use water in it :smiley:
I like your Arizona-style terrain, well done :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks Jenn, You did really well on those rock formations. I was lazy at that point and ended up with spikey hills lol.
I’m over in another project but thanks for your words i will keep the colors schemes and add more of a palette once i find some spare time in my other projects :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I accidentally ended up with a dual peaked mountain… Hmmm… Eye of Sauron?

9 Likes

I am too stupid to make the tree placement work properly, so there is only one lonely tree - hand placed :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Hey there I did my own Terrain. I know it’s not the best of all but I’m a bit proud of myself. So here are my pictures of the terrain

Overview

On Ground Perspective

3 Likes

There are some pretty neat Terrains that everyone made. Here are a couple of screenshots of the Terrain I created.

Overhead:

Ground:

2 Likes

Hi everyone. This is what I ended up with after about half an hour of messing around. A bit cluttered IMO but I’m pretty happy with it.

Overhead

Ground View

1 Like

First go at creating a terrain. Loving this course!

4 Likes

Here’s what I’ve got for my terrain so far:

I like what the texture on the ground looks like with the Metallic/Smoothness settings I picked, but with the basic rock texture on the outer mountains, I’m thinking it looks more like a rough parking lot than alien terrain.

Other than that, is there a trick to getting a more smooth gradient on changing the terrain height? I keep getting all those skinny spikes on my mountains.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms