Be the first to post for 'Testing Grounds GDD'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

Concept

• You’re a buddhist monk seeking enlightenment.
  • You must pass a set of trials to attain the state of buddhahood.
  • You’re thoughts are your enemies (they will have some form in the environment, along with voice audio).
  • These can only be defeated by observing them for a given amount of time from a distance. They will attack if you get too close, and you will start to fall into unconsciousness. This will attract even more thoughts, unless you manage to escape.
  • As you progress through each area, the thoughts become darker, louder, and harder to “observe”.
  • You attain enlightenment once you end up in the place you initially started from, after you conquer your ultimate fear. The areas will form an overall loop around the temple.

Requirements

• Buddhist temple asset pack (e.g. https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/buddhist-monastery-environment)
  • Assets to create “thought enemies” (not sure yet how they might look, prehaps some incoherent dark shapes). Ideally they would take shapes related to the thoughts.
  • Humanoid main character.
  • Audio files (voice actors, perhaps my own voice for now). Audio recordings of great spiritual teachers, as you pass from area to area.

Technical Challenges

• Setting up player character.
  • Setting up smart AI.
  • Creating realistic visual and sound effects.
  • Procedural generation of environment (not sure if necessary, since the level will loop around the same temple).

Love the idea of using the Buddhist temple asset. I hadn’t thought of purchasing a pre-made asset pack. I think I’ll go looking before I start building levels.

Thanks for the idea! I hope your game goes well.

Thanks! Hope your work goes well too! :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms