Welcome to the Unreal Engine Developer

Hello, let me re-introduce myself. My name is Patrick Burks and I’m getting ready to go back to school in the fall of 2017. I’ve thought about majoring in computer science. Since, I’m not doing classes this spring I decided to try this course and learn C++ as well as making games. I’m more into role-playing games, but I also like wargames.

1 Like

Hello all! It’s exciting to see people still posting, and it’s cool to see posts from all over the world.

Anyway, I’m Greg from the US. I’m a web developer by trade, but I like video games, so I figured it would be cool to try this course while it was at a discount.

1 Like

Hi everyone my name is Eduardo (Ed), I’m a 20 yr old college software engineer student from Mexico. I’m really excited on taking this course. Been developing games since middle school but never really been able to take an offical or legit class on the subject. Really looking forward on solidifying and further extending my knowledge and experience on this passion we share. :laughing:

1 Like

Hey people! I’m Claire, 21 years old from New York with minimal experience using C++ and UE4 and beginner-intermediate experience with 3d modelling in 3ds Max. I love video games and my dream is to one day become a game developer and maybe even start up my own video game development studio. I’m excited to learn more about C++ and UE4 with this course and getting to know all of you.

Peace :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey people!

My name is Maciej and I’m from Poland. I’ve got basic experiance with programming languages like c++ or java script. I love video games and I love creating stuff so I’ve decided to combine those two things and start creating my own video games. :smiley: I know the path is long and steep but I have all the will and motivation to learn. :slight_smile: I’ve been looking for a course like this for quite some time so I’m excited about it.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hey class!

I’m Stanley from the US. Hoping to learn more about game development as a side hobby, excited to learn new skills and have fun!

1 Like

Hello there!

My name is Lucas and I’m from Brazil.

I’m graduated in Computer Engineering with a masters degree in Mathematical And Computational Modeling, I’ve lots of experience with several programming languages (JAVA, Python, C++, C#, JavaScript, Matlab, R, etc, etc).

I’ve worked with many different types of projects in my life but recently I have just realized that I have never done any Games. I have never ever done the single type of software I love the most. So i wanted to create my own game. I’ve already done some skirmish on some engines and a few beginner lessons but I’ve been looking for a more complete and sequential course like this for quite some time.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi all,

I am Sky Huang. I am from Taiwan but now studying Ph.D. in Los Angeles, California. I am studying computational materials science, developing Monte Carlo simulation codes to study material properties. Since I am about to graduate, I start to look around the job opportunities and how I can improve myself in job seeking. And therefore, I found the course. Although I think taking the course would not help me finding a job (at least would not be my first job), the idea of learning to develop games is so cool that I have to take some time to learn it. Hope it will be a lot of fun!

2 Likes

Just finished section one. I’ve seen lots of interesting replies. I’d love to comment on all those great comments, but I’d be here all day. I look forward to learning more and comparing notes later so we all can learn and improve from each other. The thing to do with knowledge is to acquire it, add to it and pass it on.

EW1 (SW/MTS) USN(Ret.)
A.F. & A.M. Warwick Lodge #335, L.M.I.P.

1 Like

I got this same exact error.
I’m installing the latest Unreal engine, and hoping that has a fix.

any link to instructions on this… I have the VS compiler issue currently.

Hey everyone!

My name Joseph and I’m currently working as a C++ Software Developer in Minnesota. I completed a coding bootcamp in Java before that and this is my first time trying out game development. I look forward to being an active participant in this community and making new connections.

Good luck!

1 Like

Hey everybody! I’m Zach from Tennessee, I’m a student at MTSU studying Information Systems. I’m taking this course because I want to be a game designer and one day hope to work for a large gaming company or create my own projects. I love computers and thank coding is a blast!

I posted this in the welcome to the course forum by mistake :sweat_smile: but all the same I look forward to talking and working with all of you :grinning:

1 Like

Modern_Fix, Below I list steps to alleviate the problem along with links that go more in depth about the problem.

1. If you create the project and it automatically takes you to Visual Studio but stays on Create project file go to build which is located at top bar of visual studio (same row as File Edit … etc)

2. Under build dropdown menu highlight build solutions and click on it the picture below will illustrate that. (if the picture is vague I apologize I am trying print screen copy and pasting to see if it works)

3. Once you compile reload or restart unreal engine editor and you should be good.

Another aspect of the problem

Lets say you thought about reloading unreal engine instead of building solution, so you exit out of both visual studio and unreal engine and try to reload it. You will get a prompt message that says something like “Error try recompile from source” (I forgot to save the image of the error) it means to build solution from visual studio so follow the steps above except, fire up visual studio find the project, open the solution and then build it.

1 Like

Hey everyone!

I’ve used ue4 for 1.5 years now and learned through the existing tutorials and by participating in ue4 game jams. In fact, I’ve been finalist in 3 of them! I also do some 3d art with blender. Yes, it sounds crazy, artist learning to program, but I find both aspects really fun to do. I’ve learned blueprints really well, but never really got into C++ as the tutorials were really hard to understand and follow (too often compile errors). Now I want to finally push myself to learn C++ too :grinning:

1 Like

Hello I am in section 1 chapter 9 and as your instructions I am here to introduce myself!

My name is Nathan, I’m 28 years old and I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
I work at the University of New Mexico in the IT department.
:slight_smile:

Hi my name is Stéphane, I’m 29 years old and I live in the West Midlands in the UK.

I have some experience with game development having done my Ba and Ma in Video Game Development. I have had plenty of experience with Unreal Engine in an art discipline but I have always wanted to learn to code. I find it difficult to learn through books or written documentation which is why i am here.
Here’s hoping I can learn to code at a good enough level to maybe try my hand at being a technical artist someday :smiley:

Hello All,

This is Ashish from India. Been in feature film industry for 8+ years (check out my upcoming [BossBaby] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8j5GaqH3c&t=2s) trailer). Interested in learning how game tech/workflows can be useful/disruptive in vfx/feature productions.

Looking forward to both learn / contribute in this lovely community !

-ashish

1 Like

Hi there :slight_smile:
My name is Shaikh 29 years old from Singapore. I just here dipping my toes and trying out C++ and Unreal Engine for the first time with a structure course and material. Graduated with a diploma in Information Technology a year ago. Looking forward to completing this course material and gaining some awesome skill which can be put to good use in the near future.

Do hit me up have something in common.

1 Like

Hey guys,

My name is Daniel and I’m 18 years old! I live in Australia and I started learning C++ and game development earlier this year and I hope to learn how to make games so I can create great games with immersive universes across a whole range of platforms, I also want to also help many people get through the course as I progress by answering their questions. :smiley:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms