Be the first to post for 'Pan And Tilt Camera Options'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

Hi there,

In according to the video about the Unity camera’s I guess it would be awesome to have some kind of RTS like camera available. This could mean:

• dragging with middle mouse button
  • refocussing to the player after releasing the middle mouse button
  • zooming in/out with scollwheel
  • aim with mouse movement

or maybe:

• moving the mouse pointer to the edge of the screen to make the camera move over the scene

Curious about what you guys think! :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Jeroen

2 Likes

I chose the Free look option and although temporarily disabled the mouse movement i will re-enable that once i code it so it only works on the right mouse button being down.
I did notice something a little strange. I edited the code to use late update but i noticed the update type in unity only worked on fixed update and stopped following ethan completely. The Multipurposecamera could be set to late update with issues.

Yes, these are basically my thoughts also.

Liked the multi-purpose camera, altough it’s intentional slow to respond to turns and that drives me nuts. I’d rather have to do a better job of sticking to over the player’s shoulder.

I like the multipurpose camera and how it snaps inside walls which is really good for third person control games where the player backs up against a wall. I tried coding this once and it took me ages and never go it right. I think it would be nice to have a ray cast that makes objects between the camera and player disappear or fade away, which will be really useful for RPG games. The transparent player option is another, where the player gets rendered as an xray when going behind walls.

2 Likes

Of the standard asset cameras, the multipurpose camera seems the most useful. However, repositioning the player and waiting for the camera to turn is more than a little annoying. Increasing its Move Speed and Turn Speed helps, but then it feels confusing to have the camera moving around while you’re running and around and don’t necessarily want the camera angle to shift.

For my tastes, the CctvCamera is pretty nice. I don’t really need the camera angle shifting all the time. However, I don’t like that this camera doesn’t seem to show any shadows.

The FreeLookCameraRig is interesting, but not quite what I want. I prefer playing with a controller, so I went to the Input Manager and changed the Mouse X and Y Type from Mouse Movement to Joystick Axis. Mouse X is 4th axis and Mouse Y is 5th axis to use the right stick of an XBox controller. I then had to increase the Turn Speed in the Free Look Cam script variables. That got close to what I wanted, but not quite. I’m impressed with how intuitive the pan and zoom controls are for the Nintendo Switch version of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I tried to tweak the Free Look camera into doing something like that with the right thumbstick, but ran out of patience.

HandheldCamera seems like a nice effect for part of a game, but not something I’d want to play with for an entire game.

HandheldCamera seems pretty useless. The effect of it shaking back and forth might be worth stealing for a cutscene or something like that, but the perspective looks really weird. Multipurpose would be pretty useful for a platformer. My issue with all of the built-in cameras, is that depending on how you design your game it seems like it would take a lot of tweaking to get these special purpose cameras to do exactly what you want, and it might be easier to just build a camera system that actually does exactly what you want.

For MadMechs, I think I am going to stick with the fixed camera view. it is going to be a kind of old-school shoot em up, and I think that rotating the view will be one thing too much for the player to track. But we will see how things develop.

Multipurpose camera for me - on LateUpdate

I like the multipurpose camera because of the variety of options that it provides. I will probably use something similar to this in my game.

I started using https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/82048 it is an amazing camera that is free on the store. Still trying to figure out how all the code talks together.

I can definitely see where the FreeLook camera would have potential in third person games, especially when they’re designed for a controller. I could also see how a variant would be useful for a first person game like Amnesia, where the cursor is basically your line of sight.

This seems like a good place to post my new camera. :slight_smile:

I call it the “on rails” camera because it only travels in one direction.
(Actually, it follows waypoints, but I don’t have enough level to demonstrate multiple waypoints yet.)

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms