Be the first to post for 'Keeping Yourself Organised'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

I’ve been creating a folder per section with an export folder inside and naming descriptively enough so that I know what I’m talking about. Torch, Fireball, Sword, Sword_Gradient, Sword_DropShadow etc…

Good job!

1 Like

I’ve managed to be fairly organized so far. I have a folder on my desktop for this class called “repos”. In it I have a folder for each challenge. Within each of those, I have a folder called “exports”. However, naming the folders according to the challenge names gets a little disorganized. So, for next section of the class I’m going to try preceding the names with numbers to see if that helps.

I have made a folder for each main section, then I keep naming the files using the lecture numbers and an index for each picture. Exported images are in their own folder. I find it hard to delete any… :worried: I keep it all on Dropbox too. :slight_smile:
Here is how it looks:

3 Likes

As I’ve moved from section to section (two so far) and exercise to exercise, I have been considering, “How should I name these such that I could easily refer to an image with minimal pain”. I had been prefixing some files with a keyword from a lecture like “Gradient” or “Layer” or “Silhouette”. But, merely doing that has not been totally sufficient.

Looking at Carl’s setup :arrow_up: I like the idea of prefixing files with the lecture number. In this context, it makes sense. In my own personal contexts, I’ll need to devise a scheme that is easy to maintain and index through. Well named things are clear things, and clarity is king.

1 Like

I keep the entire course in one folder and each lecture with challenges having their own folders numbered after the lectures they represent.

If something is re-used in a new lecture, I simply have the new re-used version in that new folder as well.
The downside to this is that it’s not sufficient when it comes to saving space, however I’m not expecting it to be a big issue in this case as gimp files have yet to eat all my memory. Otherwise I would resort to another setup including a reference file that I would reference frequently used files from.

if I need to rollback and look at some of the old things related to what I’ve posted, then I know exactly where to find it, and which course lecture it’s related to thanks to the numbering of the lectures.

Organized with Folders

PS: I love having folders in folders.

To be fair, I wasn’t too unorganised to begin with. I’ve taken on board the advice about giving folders more descriptive names, but that’s all I found necessary to change.

Use 2 digit numbers, like ‘02’ or ‘23’. If not, folder alphabetical sort goes wrong.

And like in the old days of BASIC programming and line numbers. Don’t use sequential numbering. Use increments like 5. With this you can easily add folders to group them on functionality.

05 Fonts
10 Stock
15 Concepts
20 Production

Now you can add a folder like “11 SVG stock”.

Of course, file naming is important. But there are tools who do that for you, use meta information instead of labels in the file names. Commercial tools like Adobe Bridge, or my alltime favorite ThumbsPlus. You can manage huge sets of images.

Privacy & Terms