Be the first to post for 'Changing a Character’s Animation'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

@ben Having studied animation in college, my immediate first thought was the rig of the character. The big hint for me was the character going into a T-Pose.

While we did change the blueprint of the character, that blueprint only applies to a certain rig which we had to also change in the character as well.

2 Likes

To the thought process for fixing the patrolling guard’s animation:

I checked the animation settings and the diagram, and remembered that the blueprint has Animation -> Mesh -> Bones. I must not be referencing the right mesh. The animation references bones, but it needs to get a reference to the bones, which talk to the mesh vertices.

So it’s the mesh. Changed and it worked.

1 Like

Ditto the previous posters, when the animBP is changed, the skeletal mesh associated with it has to change as well in order for the animations to proceed.

Had the same, but instead of having studied animation in college I worked on a project from scratch before doing this course, and oh boy I had to learn animations the hard way.

Ben mentioned in the last video something to do with the skeletal mesh from the Animation Starter Pack and our ThirdPersonCPP template being every so slightly different (although the details he hovers over has exactly the same triangles and bones, etc)

So trying, I right clicked our current skeletal mesh > Skeleton > Assigned Skeleton and selected the other one. Nothing seemed to happen but

voila the guards are now toting make-believe firearms !!. Groovy.

I figured it had to do with animations, since the player moved and followed his route. So what I did was start comparing the two guards in the Details panel Animation and noticed the one had none selected, so I found the Starter Pack BP and selected that - it worked fine…took about 3 minutes…

Pretty easy challenge if you have character rigging experience. If you don’t it’s probably not at all obvious. AnimStarter pack comes with it’s own mannequin and skeleton. Poses and animations are skeleton specific.

Tried to be focused on difference and point that mesh is not the same. so with new class we need to use associated mesh from pack

Privacy & Terms