Be the first to post for 'Block Out Your Level'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

I know it wasn’t advised to go ahead and add art immediately, though I had these assets on hand so I went ahead and added them. Also opted out of using the built in terrain editor as it didn’t fit my overall design idea; instead I went with a modular design. I hope to finish the rest of the test level tomorrow, but so far I’m really happy with the results.
(Some ground textures are currently being worked on; specifically the burned/smoldering region)

Early Overall Screenshot:

Here is a quick run through (If link doesn’t work, you can right click and open video in new tab, I guess the dropbox player is weird on some browsers):

2 Likes

here is my level blocked out.
the general structure of the level, this is supposed to be a university/college/big school.please point out anything you feel is “out of place” or “miss placed”.and any suggestion is welcome.

what do you guys think?

@NotoriousBP
oh my god, this look beautiful. nicely done man,.
i and sure it does look linear, but im pretty sure you can expand it further !

1 Like

Here’s my level 1 prototype. Player starts at a dock in the bottom left (out of view).
The easy path to the village is blocked by a stub at this point.
Using the terrain editor together with some simple assets is really fun :slight_smile:
Very nice assets Mike, I especially like the trees and the windmill!

@NotoriousBP That looks great, I like the art style!
@MoMutrz Very detailed map. :slight_smile: What are all the small dark rectangles?

1 Like

@Martin
thanks, though, i must say, i was pretty much forced to abandon that entire level :frowning: due to me changing the camera style.
and, i have nothing dark, but maybe they look dark just because they’re so far, i do have some blue NPCs thrown around, (they just are not visible due to the big level of zooming out )
your first level looks pretty neat. and i like that idea of blocknig the route using a part of a tree. looks like a rather simple neat pretty village.
and i must say, i also did like the windmil if we’re allowed, i might end up using it in my final game

1 Like

Welcome to Ordele

1 Like

Cool level! How would the player get across? Grass texture looks quite shiny.

Hi from the hills!

Us trailer parkers need to stick together

Will need to get rid of the thugs next, got a propane tank just for them…

4 Likes

Thanks Martin :slight_smile: There is a path just in front of Ethan there which leads down to a bridge. Yeah grass is a little shinny but its kinda growing on me

Here is my prototype level with an island village. The player has an opportunity to get in ranged attacks on the monsters in the village from the ledge on the left. After clearing the village it will be on to further adventure in the interior of the island.

Overview

Enemies below ledge

The look of the terrain clashes with my low poly art style. At some point I may abandon the unity terrain system in favor of building the levels in Blender and using a mesh collider.

I experienced the same issue as you @Volts. I found the unity terrain useful to follow along with the video but have been building meshs at the same time.

1 Like

Thanks, @Crede.Pendrel. I tried knocking the poly’s down by changing the pixel error in terrain settings. The results are not good, the poly’s are still smooth shaded and pop around in game play. There are also some collision isues, likely because the data that terrain collider is using diverges from the generated mesh.

But I’m not building a game with wide open spaces, so… on to other things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s the city map for my RPG’s prototype level; it takes about 4.5 minutes to walk across the streets and into the construction site and park areas.
In the construction site, I’m planning to have the player fight a boss to get control of the crane to remove the rubble that’s blocking the path on the left of the second picture.

It’s not much. I know. But I don’t really like level design etc… I’m more of a programmer.

BTW: my in-game camera is very different (bigger FOV and is placed at a much steeper angle) so the terrain and mountains look OK.

1 Like

So here is my prototype level, white dots will be trees, red dots enemies and yellow dots quests.

Not the biggest one, but it’s going to expand as the game builds up. Decided to start from something small , but a bit more detailed. I’m not experienced Unity dev. rather I work as a Javascript dev for more than 6 years. There are some weird issues with the water (I can walk on it like Jesus), but I think you will address them later in the course.

1 Like

This is what I’m working on. The player shows up in an empty (for now) playground but suddenly hears screams and goes to the street to see what is happening, that’s when he discovers the monsters that are terrorising the city. The cars that are upside down direct the player to the location of the boss.

1 Like

Hey, sorry this question isn’t related to this lecture but not sure where to ask and get a response. First can I have a link to the discord, it seems like it would be much quicker to communicate there. and some point my enemy prefab stopped playing animations and just glides in t pose unless I attatch the thirdpersoncharacter animator controller which means he glides in a ball in the air towards me

Here’s mine…! I’m guessing that ‘Blocking Out’ is more for overall shape/flow than finishing touches and fully restricting player movement - so I think I’ve done enough for this stage…:

Start at 1. In the forest. Some minor skirmishes. On to 2. Home village which is under attack… Combat…
Hear of attackers at the farms - on to 3.
Noticed by the local Druid as potentially having ‘the sight’ - On to a misty 4 to be tested.

5 - A defeated band of the original enemies, holed up in a Ruined Roman villa

• A quest to ancient barrows - for a powerful item
    • Hear of a fortified enemy encampment - the original attackers and their commander - final showdown for this zone.

A couple of in-game shots…:

Village:

Path to stone circle - stones still to be added :slight_smile:

I’m quite happy with how it’s coming along :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms