Be the first to post for 'A Note On Unreal Versions'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

1 Like

I don’t understand why teachers don’t just use macro style recordings that students can just follow. Context can be inserted between actions post process. Waypoint systems and Step Recording and macros have been around for years. Also the internal Unreal Engine 4 Tutorial system is basically intended to be a step recorder that teachers can use to create stuff with then upload for students to download to their database of Tutorials, but it doesn’t work, they never finished the obvious functional needs of the system. It doesn’t make any sense. Why do computer science instructors continue to use ancient methodologies. Computers are so good at recording peoples actions, why don’t teachers use this feature for more than spying on other people.

Hi Justin, if I understand you correctly then this is a great idea. I think there’s no simple way for us to do this using Udemy at the moment, and they are our main distribution platform.

However @sampattuzzi and I do discuss in-engine tutorials regularly, and when the time is right and we have a decent marketing engine for that sort of content, we’d love to!

Thanks again

2 Likes

I think the main limitation is we can’t break out of the editor to other tools like VS. However, I love the general idea. Sadly, when we talk about what we see we bind to the content being displayed. I would love a project that could update the video automatically with new software versions. Sadly, I think it’s a long way away.

2 Likes

Hi,
I am using version 4.15.x
I had a lot of problems trying to get a gamepad to work.
I think it was a change in 4.13.x where they changed it so you have to click in to the game window before it enabled the gamepad

Roger

PS
a very good and useful course. :slight_smile:

Yeah, Step Recorder is a standard tool in the Windows operating environment. What i am thinking of is just a glorified version of that and would allow for a cross platform ‘waypoint’ style education system.

Step Recorder already does this. it records everything on all software packages running in the Windows environment. So it is already cross-platform. It’s just not set up right to be all that useful. So I don’t think this improvement to education is all that far fetched. I think a few good programmers could get the primary functional aspect up and running without too much trouble.

Obviously compilers could be built to check for breaks in tutorials on newer versions of the software. Teachers could use this information to quickly fix any breaks in the action chain (likely saving loads of time as the video based education system is very tedious).

Some Skip forward and Skip back functionality would need to be included. Students would also need to be able to search the action chain for specific sections.

Similar to Google, Bing, or Mapquest Find Route technology; the system would need to be able to find the correct chain of actions to complete the task from wherever the student was in the Windows environment. The route to begin the recording.

Teachers could charge a small fee or choose to receive patronage through the system. A lot of it would likely be free, since software companies really want customers to understand how to use their software.

Just food for thought.

1 Like

The UE4 tutorial system has not been properly supported and currently does not have obvious functional needs implemented. It is a great idea, but for some reason they have not bothered to make it of much use to anybody.

Possibly they are thinking the same as me and want something that will work in the Windows/Mac environment, that is not limited to just the UE4 Engine.

I just downloaded the course. Never done any programming but work in app dev and website dev.

Hi ben!

Hi Ben

Sir we can use codeblock software for this course. The unreal …??

Not officially, but there is some community help: https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/community-content-tools-and-tutorials/70464-tutorial-use-code-blocks-with-ue4editor-in-linux?98645-TUTORIAL-Use-Code-Blocks-with-UE4Editor-in-Linux_=

#unreal:ask Just wanted to make sure that I am not needing to download 4.22 of unreal. I went ahead and downloaded the version that was on the video and it is running fine on my machine. Thanks!

I’ve been using the newest version while going through the course. There’s a couple things which are different from what’s in the videos, and it would be easier to just use what they use. There are a couple points where they upgrade to newer versions, so you can see what that’s like, and I think in all there’s 3 or 4 different versions used throughout the course.

thanks…I downloaded 2019 and its working perfectly…:slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms