Base pawn using bevel

Hi there, I’m following the udemy course and I’ve reached the chess lecture in which we are learning how to do the base of the chess piece. I downloaded my own reference material but when using it i see that my cylinder doesn’t really fit it or is a bit awkward. Someone can give me an advice? do i need to resize the reference material submitted? i see in the course the teacher basically fit the mesh into the image like perfectly.

1 Like

My feeling is your trouble is having a reference image that is not a true side view. The camera looked down a bit. While it is possible to work with it takes some ‘eye’ to allow for the distortion. A pure side on reference would be easier to use. However to start with, the widths at any point are correct in the reference. It is the positioning of these points in the vertical that requires interpretation. So your first upright section from the zero plane, needs to be the width of the same part of the reference image even though it is higher.

That said, logically, I would make the image of the pawn fit the base line, not the whole photo plane. Looks like it should be approximately 0.35 blender units lower in the z axis. This may then need re-scaling if you have already set it to be the right height.

Further your pawn is not centred , your image is. So the blue line of the z axis does not go up the centre of the actual pawn on the image. All adding difficulty for you.

Good reference, set up right helps enormously. Experience, real world making and in the modeling on computer can compensate for less than prefect reference.

One way to set up reference images.

Those reference lines in the first are just basic cubes used as guides for where the grid will not show through the image. On wire frame they become lines on the base plane, Vertical centre, and one more set to be the height.

All you then need to do is scale and position the pawn in this case to have the reference centred on the base line, and the right size.
This reference is also not absolutely pure side view, but near enough to get by.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms