Balloon Buster

No worries, looking forward to your next update :slight_smile:

Very minor update to the balloon damage effect position and hopefully fixed the issue of the boomerang getting stuck on the paddle hand.

Balloon Buster

1 Like

I got to the second level - finally - lolā€¦

Particles are looking good, now appearing on top of the balloons, they all appear in the same position though, did you not manage to get the point of collision, or didnā€™t it look right?

I donā€™t want to keep throwing feedback/suggestions your way if you want to move on to other projects, so feel free to tell me to shut up at any point :wink: One thing that might look nice on the balloons is if the particles were a little more varied, e.g. not all the same, perhaps different speeds and durations, so some would be shorter, some longer, some slower, some faster etc.

If you did manage to get the point of impact you could then position them closer to where the collision occured (+/- a little offset to put them ā€œonā€ the balloon), but also the directions could be different that the particles flow inā€¦

Again, just some thoughts :slight_smile:

Oh I love the feedback! No I wasnā€™t able to get the particle effect to take place at the point of impact. I tried a number of things, but the particle effect never was consistent. For example hitting the first balloon it would appear a little away and below the balloon and then if you hit say the one to the far right it would appear a little away and above the balloon. I ended up throwing in the towel. I may come back again later and see if I can resolve it.

Varying the particle effect is a nice idea. I hadnā€™t thought about that.

I have some ideas of a few other things Iā€™d like to implement, but I think for now Iā€™ll table them and move on to Laser Defender. I already have some ideas there Iā€™d like to implement in my version.

I hope to receive just as valuable feedback there from you!

1 Like

For example hitting the first balloon it would appear a little away and below the balloon and then if you hit say the one to the far right it would appear a little away and above the balloon. I ended up throwing in the towel. I may come back again later and see if I can resolve it.

Iā€™d probably need to actually see the behaviour youā€™re describing to fully appreciate it. I posted something ages ago, mainly for Laser Defender, so that people could get the point of impact for the paddle, hereā€™s a link, it may be the kind of code approach you were already using;

Varying the particle effect is a nice idea. I hadnā€™t thought about that.

Little differences like that can make a big difference to the overall feel of the game. Also, variations on the audio, so for example changing the pitch to a random value between min / max values for each ricochet of the boomerang, or each pop of the balloons. The slight wobbly on the balloons when they are hit, which would cause the wobbles to all be animating at different times etc. Little touches which can make the overall aesthetic feel a little less static.

But these are all little things that you can add either as you go along, or afterwards when adding more polish to the game you are working on. Handy to consider them as you go along in case you do something which may make it harder, or just keeping a note of the ideas so you donā€™t forget etc.

have some ideas of a few other things Iā€™d like to implement, but I think for now Iā€™ll table them and move on to Laser Defender. I already have some ideas there Iā€™d like to implement in my version.

Sounds like a plan, and well done again for making this version of Block Breaker truly your own :slight_smile:

I hope to receive just as valuable feedback there from you!

If I see people ask for feedback I try to offer it, I sometimes drop the odd suggestion in even if they donā€™t :wink:

Itā€™s really nice to see students take the extra steps and have that ā€œwow, I didnā€™t think Iā€™d be able to do thatā€ kind of moment when they stray just a little bit (or a lot) from the main course content. Itā€™s a fantastic way to learn and to push yourself, so if I am able to be apart of that, for anyone, by making the odd suggestions that that makes me happy too :slight_smile:

Wow that is fantastic. I will definitely keep a reference to this as Iā€™m sure itā€™ll come in handy with other games as well. Your feedback/suggestions are extremely valuable, so I greatly appreciate them.

1 Like

Happy to help and weā€™ll done again with your game Lance :slight_smile:

I felt I needed to implement some of the additional ideas I had, so here is a new version with the following features:

• Added multiple damage particle effects
  • Damage particles now appear where balloons are hit
  • Improved the look of graphics (paddle hand and bricks)
  • Added a few power-ups
  • Added a bonus for extra points if you can hit it!
  • Other minor ehancements/fixes

Balloon Buster

1 Like

Hey Lance,

Nice update!

The point-of-contact particles is a really nice addition, and I like the audio youā€™ve added too as the gas escapes. There also appears to be a little randomness in the speed of the particles that appear which is nice, so each damaged balloon doesnā€™t look the same.

I, finally, got to level 2 and saw that youā€™ve also rotated the texture on those vertical walls, again, it really looks good, well done.

Iā€™ve yet to see a power-up but I will play some more and maybe Iā€™ll find one.

Your game is really coming along nicely, well done for continuing to refine and improve :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback Rob. Nice job getting to level 2. Once on that level, youā€™ll see a bonus item move across the top of the screen. If you hit it youā€™ll get some additional points. The power-ups are hidden within certain balloons. You have to hit the right ones to reveal them. Good luck!

1 Like

Sounds to me like I need more practice! Will play some more this morning :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms