Baking multires, LOD_A-B-C story

I tried to use this technic on my stone sarcophagus made from sandstone like material. I learned how to break up the surfaces with displacement to get nice stone like look.
Please correct me if i did something stupid!

The model is made from 3 parts, base, the sarcophagus and the lid. I stated with LOD_As.

I prepared the loop cuts for subsurf i will use on LOD_B and C.

I copied all three on a separate layer and made LOD_C from them. First I added a subsurf with level 3 and applied it, then the multires modifier.
With preview at 4 I got 2830727 verts! :sunglasses:

And here comes displacement. I used this node setup for material for all three parts.

To get it work “Feature set” in Render panel must be set to experimental AND displacement in material properties must be set to True or Both.

Ok, we have LOD_Cs, i make LOD_Bs from them. The process was: First i just copied, renamed them to LOD_Bs and set the multires on them to prew 1, render 1. Then i went back to LOD_Cs to bake the normals from them. I baked at multires level 5. When i had the 3 normalmap i went back to LOD_Bs to setup materials. I needed to make 3 copies of the original sandstone material as the three parts will use 3 different normalmaps. Here is the node setup, this is the same for all of them, the only difference is the Image texture with the normalmaps (displacement can be used as we want, for now its not connected):

This is the result, with multires at prev 1, render 1, 43014 verts.

And with displacement connected:

What do you think?

1 Like

Good morning @Richard_Vekony

Your sarcophagus is looking great and the workflow is very well documented. I can’t comment on the workflow and if you did something not the right way because I didn’t complete this lecture yet, in fact I’m going to start with this lecture today. But your documentation is a great help to me, knowing what to come in this lecture. After I finished the lecture I will post my work here to :smiley:

Keep up the good work. It looks amazing!!

@Richard_Vekony Hi Richard,

This is what I made after watching the lecture about Baking using the Multires Modifier.

Node Editor setup

NormalMap output

Render result

These skills will become quite useful for use on some of my models in the cathedral scene.

Privacy & Terms