Baking a Cavity - Texture is black

Having an issue where trying to bake out a cavity map only renders a black texture. Baking normal maps worked fine and I haven’t changed any settings. I’ve rewatched this specific lesson a few times and I am sure that I’m following the video 100%. Not sure what the issue could be.

1 Like

Search this section for previous questions on baking issues and also look at the Wikis in The talk section for referrals to some key ones.

To have any chance of others spotting errors or recognising an effect images are vital, panels have all the data.

General Q&A note
Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also, include the lecture time and name/number that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side.
On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups additionally where they help.

Blender Environment Artist: Create 3D Worlds
Section: Sculpted Details, Lesson 7, Lecture time 6:00

Following along with the lesson I should be able to bake out a cavity map to a texture in much the same way I’ve baked out a normal map.

My high poly mesh has a material set up on it for a Emit Bake Type.

My low poly mesh has a material set up for the cavity map.

I’m making sure to keep the TEST.cav selected when I bake. My result is always a black texture.

I do receive a “Baking map saved to internal image, save it externally or pack it” message which I’ve never gotten when baking normal textures.

1 Like

Try saving the image as it suggests. ‘Save as’ the file too and then close and reopen it.

1 Like

No change. I’m using Blender version 2.93.5.

I tried creating a new texture with a white background (no alpha) and when I baked it the texture was fully black. Changing the Extrusion and Max Ray Distance don’t seem to have any effect.

1 Like
  • Object smoothing on?
  • Also, do you use Cycles?
  • And do you expect CAVITY? Because, cavity maps are based on tiny corners, which are difficult to reach by light rays. So a cube doesn’t have any any cavities, but flat faces. The outcome is black.
1 Like

I noticed you have the color ramp plugged into the base color. When I bake the cav map i just have the emit view with SHIFT CTRL click view node and nothing plugged into the principled bsdf. Also play with the color ramp. And try reducing the black on the color ramp. With the extrusion instead of 0.05, set it to 0.3. I do see u have a little detail in the HP mesh.

2 Likes

Shade smooth is on both objects and they’re overlapping each other (the scale is reset on both and the X, Y, and Z Dimensions are identical).

I am currently rendering on Cycles (Eevee doesn’t have a Bake option and I’ve never tried Workbench).

Unplugging the color ramp from the Principled BSDF doesn’t seem to do anything. Also the video clearly shows the nodes connected in the manner that I have them connected.

Node setup in the lesson for the low poly object:

Expected result:

I have also tried adjusting the color ramp values, but I still get the same black texture result. Setting the Extrusion down (0, 0.01, 0.02, etc.) still renders a black texture.

I tried creating a new texture, this time with an alpha channel, and rendered a clear alpha texture. I’m not sure what that means, but I figured it was worth trying.

I still notice that your extrusion value is too low. try 0.3 not 0.02.

Same result at 0.3 for extrusion.

im using version 3.2 of blender, can you share the blender file ? I wanna try and see if I get the same thing without changing anything

1 Like

Upgraded to version 3.2 of blender and now everything works as intended. Must’ve been a software version issue that I didn’t have the patch for.

Good to know it wasn’t user error for once.

3 Likes

Glad to see that it has been resolved.

3 Likes

Well done, such issues are near impossible for others to figure out a solution for people.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms