Automatic weights not working [question]

Its doing funky weight assigning to the mesh and I’ve tried everything to make it work write.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you want to tell.
But I see your right foot is a bit ‘dented’?

I had such problems many, many month ago> I’m not sure any more what the problem was (it was an recurring one).
But, if I am correctly!
Some (one) of the right foot vertice(s), are related to the LEFT foot BONE (weight paint). Difficult to explain.
OR maybe NOT connected to the bone at all !!!
But try to see which vertices (group of) are connected to the left and right bone structure.

Here’s a video better showing the problem. Maybe this will help you solve the problem. https://community.gamedev.tv/uploads/short-url/oPchLs2m7T5XegUxkryJAM4AkZ6.mp4

I see, did you name the bones correctly?
Did you copy or auto-mirrored the bones (need correct names, like in BONENAME.L for left and .R for right)?

Did you try to delete all the (generated) weight maps. Clean all and then generate bones weights.

Yes, I’ve done all of those things. Heres the .blend file so you can take a better look at it yourself Astronaut.blend (1.1 MB)

It’s strange!
I never created (used) bones in 2.8, but it seams something changed. Maybe an option we need to set / unset.

When I autogenerate the bone WEIGHT vertex groups. It also colors other parts of the body.
Like the Upper leg.r, but it LEFT leg is also colored… See my dump.
It is also strange, I selected the weight map for Upper leg.l with is blue … should be red weight painted. It’s like an inverse or so …

Maybe you need to color the weight maps a bit?

And I’m also used to use uppercase .Land .R. I am not sure it influences the process.?

I’ll try to investigate a bit more.!

When you set the body in EDIT mode, no vertexes active.
And then pick a Vertex group like Thumb.r and use that to select vertices, half the body is selected. Indicating the influence of the thumb bone. which is strange …

It works better if you use envelope weights.

Really strange…

It’s weird that it works with envelope weights and not automatic weights. I really think the problem lies with the mesh of the body itself and not the armature.

It’s a bug, they switched the label names. When I use Ctrl+p I see this.

bug%20Naamloos

How do we fix the problem?

We can report it to the blender team.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms