Auto save settings / Linked Duplicates Disappearing

Hey guys,
Was getting through the bite sized landscape and was pretty much wrapped and had a crash. I noticed the plants were gone when I restored, but the one leaf used to duplicate/repeat was still there. Is this a known area using linked duplicates or is there a way to apply that I may have missed?

I also wish I had more auto saves, but I’m going to Google that unless someone has a link!!

Appreciate any help,
Greg B

I apologize if I was supposed to post this elsewheres…

4 Likes

I’m not sure about autosaves, but there is the Save Versions two options above Autosave. Everytime you save, it’ll keep your old save in a .blend1 (and .blend2, .blend3, etc, up to 32) until you save again.

3 Likes

Hi, yes Blender can crash.
Not that it happens daily, but mostly due to strange combinations and experimentations in the interface (switching options on/off).

By default Blender saves one backup, it’s the .blend1 file (your last save).
If you need more then, increase this in your preferences as Breagha already mentioned.

There is not much to recover …
Rebuild with what you have, use previous knowledge. I would go faster now.

3 Likes

I’m aware of this and it does work, however only one leaf of the plants by the water were there when I pulled up the autosave. I had to link duplicate, rotate, repeat on all 3 plants still even though it saved. I was confused if I should have applied location for each of the objects or just not sure why the duplicates disappeared! (My autosave may have been a bit to soon) … I will make sure it saves a bit more frequently.

I appreciate your responses! I’m obviously new to blender but I already feel this community is I credit le!

Thanks you!

4 Likes

Thank you for your response!! :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Auto save is good but it is not made every second, so there often is a small step backwards in time if you experience a crash.
It is the old computer thing of ‘save as’ often imo. Blender makes that easy with the ability to increase a final number of the file name just by clicking the + along the end of the file name entry box. So House1, it will number House2 etc. Given the vast storage easily available these days I see no harm in having loads of saves. If space bothers anyone then on completion of a project you can just delete all but the last current save.

4 Likes

I just confirmed that my issue with the plant leaves that were link duplicated (alt d) and rotated disappear after saving w just the 1 original leaf left upon reopening.

I remember when premiere first came out about 20 years ago it would crash multiple times for every project that I ever rendered.

This is a fairly strong computer though… Ryzen 5950X with a 3080 FTW3, 64 gigs of ram… (not that it doesn’t crash however I find it doesn’t struggle so much in rendered views)

Thank you for the detailed help with autosave… got it taken care of… wish I could figure out why the duplicated length objects disappear but I ended up just duplicating them normally and they’re there now.

This community rocks by the way!! I appreciate all the love! :purple_heart:

4 Likes

First, blender doesn’t auto save your file. Many people get this wrong. The auto save is saved in your temp folder, unless you override temp folder in preference->File paths. These files are saved every 2 minutes by default.
Second, Save Version is the number of additional saves created when you save. By default this is set to 1. Thus the first time you save it saves as the name you give. The second time you save it renames the first save to name.blend1 then saves your file as the name.blend. The third time it deletes the blend1. renames blend to blend1 then saves your current as blend. You can increase this number to have as many blend# as you want.
Third, when starting a new project it is good practice to save before doing anything, even deleting the default cube. This reduces bugs, and crashing. Plus it has the added advantage of enabling everything so you don’t spend a day trying to figure out why something isn’t working or like in my case grayed out, because it needs to know where your blend file is stored for it to work.

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms